relationships on a break

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by tehshift, Jul 16, 2006.

1. tehshift

tehshift Member

i was curious as to how many people have gotten back together with their boyfriend/girlfriend after a break? did it actually help anyones relationship? my gf is 20 and im 21. after 4.5 years she is starting to talk about how we are different now and all that other kinda junk, which i believe is going to lead to a break. I really like her and would rather this not happen, and either way i will continue my life as normal. but i was just wondering how many people got back together from a break.

2. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

odds are, if you got together at 16, and break up at 20 and 21, you're not going to get back together. She has a point....people are a lot different at 20 than at 16 (at least I hope so!)

And realistically, she probably wants to explore and try new things. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you started wanting to at some point.

Hate to tell you, but I also wouldnt be surprised if she starts to get curious and wants a break.

3. notsousual

notsousual New Member

You will probably sporatically get back together, and hang on to the relationship for a little while longer that way. But those months/however long it will be for you aren't like the relationship you've been having, it will be like a scaled down version where most likely one of you isn't fully committed to the other...which just ends up sucking in the end.

If you WERE to get back together if this break happens, if that's what you want, I suggest completely cutting off contact with her after this "break", giving you both some time, and only getting back into things after a sufficient amount of time has passed.

4. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

My girl and I are on a break. We've been on a break for about a month. So far it
    has been working out relatively well. Sure I feel kind of like crap every now and then, but I also like the fact I can focus on myself and the things I want to do. We were in a year and a half relationship btw. We still hang out a lot... And it's actually fun now. Sometimes relationships just get... Boring and you need something to kick it back up. Will we get back together? Maybe, maybe not. A break ain't all bad. Get out there and get some strange ass.

5. JJDiri

JJDiri New Member

My friend got back together with his girlfriend after a break; this was even after
    a. She told him she thinks she might have also developed feelings for another guy
    b. He was considering dating two other girls

I also got back together with my current girlfriend after a break. We've been perfectly happy since.

6. awlewis

awlewis New Member

Only if you both want to be in the relationship. All depends on the situation.

7. jonno

jonno New Member

it's over

8. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

"Break" is just a euphemism for "break up."

People get back together after a "break up" too.

Generally speaking, it isn't productive in either case.

9. SxyLambdaLady6

SxyLambdaLady6 New Member

well when i started college i met this guy and we started goin out, but we were in a situation where we met at the wrong time, (he broke up with his gf for me) so yea def has a rocky start so we stopped talking for like 9 months...i thought we werent ever gonna speak again but he called me out of the blue...we became friends and then like 6 months later we got back together again and we are goin strong, the 9 month break of not talking def did us good, he changed a lot and i dated ppl so after the break we were sure we want to be with eachother eventually

10. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

If you 'take a break' on her terms, make sure you get back together on YOUR terms. Don't let her pick and choose when you are together and when she wants to go fuck another guy for a bit.

If a girl suggested to me that we go on a break, I would say "no thanks" and go find 10 other women immediately.

11. gigaboy

gigaboy New Member

In my last relationship, I believed that a break would do us good. The break did me great. I realized that I was better off without her and that I didn't need a girl to make my life better. So I ended it and eventually found a woman who complemented my life.

If you aren't happy today with your partner, how can a break away from each other really bring you two closer? Going back to each other is just settling for what you know you had. Comfortability is good, but it neutralizes a lot of the polarity needed in a relationship, especially in a non-marriage type relationship.

If she states that she is unhappy, listen to her. A rule of thumb is to choose a woman that chooses you (of course, you have to choose her as well, but you know what I mean). If she no longer wants to be with you, or is hinting at that, talk it out.

Good luck!