Reinstalling XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WyldKat, Nov 5, 2004.

1. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

I've heard that I should reinstall XP every few years or so. It's been running seemingly much slower than it was when I got it and it's even had a new mobo/faster processor. I've also upped the virtual memory and such. It's also had some files deleted due to the removal of a few viruses.

I'm not a comp n00b, been using and building them since 13 years ago. But since I'm so "old school" I never realized that reinstalling windows was a common maintenence procedure.

If I reinstall, is there anything I should keep in mind? What will I lose? I've heard I'll need to reinstall drivers and directx stuff again, which is small potatos.

Do I just rerun the XP install program? It automatically installs over?

Thanks in advance.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If you re-install the right way (wipe it clean and do a complete re-install), you'll lose everything on your hard drive. So, backup your important data to a CD/DVD or a second hard drive or something, then pop in the XP CD, wipe the HD, install XP, re-install your programs, drivers, etc, and copy back over your data.

3. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

Hmm...that really isn't an option, too much stuff. Will it work just to reinstall over everything?

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If you just re-install without formatting the drive, it a) probably won't do any good because all the old garbage is still there and b) might cause some conflict problems.

What I'd do is just get a second hard drive to keep your data on, or get a small hard drive for the OS and keep your current one for data.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The last Windows OS that you could actually re-install over was 98.

I wouldn't say it's common practice to re-install every certain amount of time though. I haven't formatted my machine in about 2 years, but it runs well so I have no need to. I only format when I have problems I can't get rid of or when I upgrade to make it clean.

You said you have been building PC's for 13 years, but you never had to re-format a machine?

Just back up all the data you want to keep, go online and d/l what drivers you may need and that's it. At work, I can usually wipe out a machine and get it back and running with all the programs in just a few hours.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I reformat every couple months... but I notice even the slighest decrease in performance... that and I usually change some major piece around that timeframe causing me to have to reformat anyway :(

Fileservers and gigabit lan save my life every time.

7. mkevaldz

mkevaldz New Member

If you want to keep your data, and keep windows running ok, make sure you have your antivirus and spyware programs fully up to date, and updated every week. keep your system optimized with MSconfig, and run a windows repair, that's when you boot off of the XP cd, push enter, then f8 to accept, when it finds your installation of windows, it will give you the option to run a repair by pushing R. That will keep your registry the same, but reload the windows files, so you will have to run the windows update again to get back the cirticals that were made since you purchased your CD.

8. The Green Bastard

The Green Bastard Click click click bang

I'm soon to do this on my DELL.
    Will I keep all my installed programs and music, games, etc?

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you repair a Windows XP installation, you WILL keep all of your programs and data. It will only repair/replace system files.

I highly doubt that doing this will solve the isuue of a machine slowing down and whatnot. It's mainly used when you have corrupt system files and can't boot/load Windows.

A clean format is the best way...

10. The Green Bastard

The Green Bastard Click click click bang

I lost all my system event sounds (mail ding, startup and shutdown sounds), even though I can play them in the sounds chooser menu.