Reinstalling applications after OS change

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Nota, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Nota

Nota OT Supporter

Okay so my computer has two hard disks, C:\ which contains the OS and D:\ with all of my personal files and applications. The idea was to keep them separate so I could easily switch to a new OS, but C:\ ended up getting cluttered with a bunch of rubbish so I chose to go with a clean install when I jumped on the Windows 7 bandwagon.

Now all the applications I installed to D:\ are still there but my computer's not seeing them, which I guess is because I have a new registry now.

Is there any way to 'recover' the applications using the files I already have :x: or will I have to delete all of them and reinstall everything from scratch?

ibyoushouldhaveupgraded.txt

EDIT: I've just discovered the Windows.Old folder that contains over 70gb of information from Program Files, how do I put them to use? :hsd:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

A lot of applications depend on data in other locations than their install directory, such as, as you said, the registry.

These applications you might as well reinstall, it will be less effort than trying to make them work correctly as is.

Some simpler apps don't care, and they should work fine.

3. Nota

Nota OT Supporter

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm finding.

For the simpler applications that do still work from the C:\ drive, can I simply copy their folder from C:\Windows.old\Program files\ to C:\Program files\ to keep them?

And if so, will it be safe to remove the Windows.old directory when I've taken everything I want from it?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, you can remove \Windows.old once you've gotten everything you want from it. Make sure to grab the fonts.

I, for one, write all my programs to create default Registry entries on startup, if existing entries aren't found. That gets prohibitive when a program is as big as, say, Microsoft Word, but that's no excuse why it can't fire off its own installer when errors are detected.