Reinstalled Windows XP pro - Old Doc&Settings There but not able to be accessed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Mar 6, 2005.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

So this is a custom built computer - i'm relatively advanced when it comes to computers.

However - i do have one issue that bugs me - windows XP pro lol.

I had a corrupt file in system32\config and i couldn't start windows - instead of trying to fix the bugger again - i decied to just do a fresh install of windows xp - deleting the windows directory style - not just 'repairing installation'

so now - this computer is not used for much - just my um - LEGAL music sharing, and CD/DVD burning - you know - its just pretty much a server that does my storage work for my laptop (160 gigs plus 80 gigs - plus possibly soon to be another 100 gigs or so)

So now my problem - i reinstalled windows - and lost my desktop - the old login was called mike

and that folder is obviously still in c:\documents and settings\mike\

I know that is where much of the settings are for the old mike right?

When i reinstalled - i used the same name Mike - but this time - i added my computer name to the folder - so its now

c:\documents and settings\mike.platinum\

i tried reversing the filenames by logging off completly as mike and using a differant login name (the one i created for my roomate) - and i still can't get the old original \mike\ back to loading up and working - it seems that windows is too smart for changing filenames these days... grrrr

is there anyway to import like my folers and files back nothing short of most of my settings for desktop and exploerer and crap?

I just hate having to redo EVERYTHING over and over again ya know lol

thanks guys for any help you can offer! (i'm sure i lost the settings when my registry was redone along with all of windows itself - but i can still be hopeful!)

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You need to log on as the administrator and take ownership of the files. Search google for a step-by-step procedure on how to do it.

3. cassetti

cassetti New Member

sigh - so its just the files though - not the settings?