A&P Reimbursement for photos, first time -- help?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by coughlin's law, Apr 2, 2008.

1. I have done some photos for a local property company here in town, and I don't think my photos are entirely that good, and I did them for free... but I get this email today, from one of the Broker Associates and she said;

"Pics are wonderful! Thanks! I talked with another agent about the photographer I mentioned that shoots homes for sale. He does each listing for $35. If it is fair to you, I’d like to have Andy send you a check for the Security and Valencia pictures you took. Let me know if you think this is fair."

Problem is, this is the first time I would be reimbursed for photos, so what should I do?

2. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

35 bucks for shots that that require little to no PP?

I'd do it but ask for a photographer credit with link too.

3. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

How exactly are the images being used? $35 per shot used is seriously low.

4. I would just imagine on brochures and leaflets, nothing too extravagant.

5. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

Ok, well according to FotoQuote (an estimate building software for photographers) usage for 1 image in 1/4 page size in a brochure with a press run of 1k should range from $225 to $450, for 1yr usage rights.

Now from the sounds of it, you're not actually a "professional." This isn't something you normally do as a business, so you can of course come up w/ whatever you feel they're worth. Also, the client sounds like a lowball client who doesn't understand the cost of exceptional photography (assuming your images are exceptional.) so that can also come in to play w/ your decision of how much to charge.

I'd say if it were me I'd try at the VERY least $75 per image, although even that is peanuts. Only thing is, since you weren't expecting to get paid to begin w/ your negotiation process is basically out the window so you may have to just take whatever you can get this time. You should always work out fees/usage fees up front, that way if they're unwilling to pay what you think your images are worth, you can walk away. As it stands now, they're basically saying, "here's 35 bucks kid, take it and go away."

6. mojito

mojito New Member

you didn't have a price and contract before you shot. :nono:

All you can do it take what they give at this point, as referrals and continued business is worth far more than pissing someone off on a first shot over a couple more bucks.