Rehabing my reconstructed knee (ACL & MCL)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Troll, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troll

Troll New Member

Along with some damage to my miniscus. Last year when i was going to the gym I was one of those retards that never worked on legs that you guys love to laugh at. This year I'm working legs. Only problem with this is my left knee is totally messed up. So I do squats and leg curls. But I isolate my left leg with very low weight (20 lbs or so), and do MUCH more with my right leg. Is this a good idea? should I be doing the same weight on both legs? I don't want un-even muscle buildup.

Also, has anybody else gone through this rehab process that can offer advice? I look retarded grunting like a little bitch with practically no weight on the bar, but it hurts like fuck!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  2. SteveO

SteveO Guest

honestly, why not leave this up to the PT? They went to 8 years of school for a reason

3. velamint

velamint Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon

Initially I concentrated on unilateral training (with the injured leg). Now I do bilateral stuff, though my injured leg is still smaller than my non injured (I dont think the strength differences are super high, however).

4. Troll

Troll New Member

You're absolutely right, I'm going to see a PT on Friday afternoon. But alot of you seem fairly knowledgable and I guess I don't feel like waiting until Friday for an answer. :hs:

5. SteveO

SteveO Guest

just wait and get an educated answer. I wouldn't trust blowing out my knee again because some shitty advice from someone on here

6. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

well, obviously, if you work the legs unevenly, you are going to get uneven muscle

7. Troll

Troll New Member

Ya, but I'm having a tougher time with the lighter weight then the heavier. I feel more resistance on my busted knee.

8. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Well, when you find out what you should do with your messed up knee inform us -- it will be interesting.

9. JP®

JP® New Member

Ive got ACL issues.
    I'll tell you what worked for me.
    BEfore injury (last summer, I jumped my MX bike, landed wrong, twisted my knee tore my ACL) I was squatting 4 plates for 8 - 10 reps.
    Since I started back to the gym, ive been staying with what feels comfortable to me. You will have one leg bigger than the other, if you work them differently.
    I bought good knee braces, and ive been squatting low weight (> 200)
    This is what my doctor told me to do.

10. Troll

Troll New Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know what my PT says on Friday and see if it coincides with your routine.

Roger that... will do.... over!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.