SRS rehab or school?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MudRacer4x4, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

real fucked up title I know but thats what life has come too. Im 21 and i would say im pretty addicted to oxy's. I've spent 2 grand on it atleast probably more. right now im going through hell I dont have them. I wont steal for them or anythng but its a problem. I know people can call me weak or whatever but its been family problems and relationship issues that have lead up to all of it I had a bad break down ended up droping out of school cause of it. Im going to therapy which is good but I still find myself doing them whenever I have money. if i take valiums I dont withdraw otherwise I go through hell. Heres my problem. I've been offered rehab by my parents I know thats a blessing but its 30grand and while my parents have money I cant do that to them I don't feel right. And I[m almost done with college and going to 30 day rehab now would stop me from going to classes all of next semester. So what should I do? Take Suboxone no rehab maybe? I tried to get suboxone but it seems like its hard as hell to get because people need a license to give it to you. Any thoughts from you guys would help but please dont bash me. I have a problem, I admit it, and for all of you people that say I have no respect for my family that money I spent on this shit was mine not mommy and daddys.

2. Mettle8

Mettle8 Blah.....

One thing if your parents are offering to put you through rehab. That does not mean you are doing anything to them. They are doing something for you. Obviously! And can you really go back to school and complete it while going through all of this?

But if your almost done with college. Stick with it. And with programs to help you through the other stuff.

3. oakback

oakback New Member

Delaying school a semester or two is no big deal, there's no time limit on getting a degree. Your health is more important, and you're lucky to have parents that care enough to help you recover.

4. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

have you ever missed classes or anything school related due to it?

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

rehab doesnt have to be 30k.

if youre enrolled in school, you prob have health insurance too. dunno, seems like a no brainer.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

go for both, rehab + school. Its also good to have someone disciplined around you who stops you from using that stuff.

7. Effervescent

Effervescent New Member

Can you complete coursework while you're in rehab?
    Do they put your lectures online?
    If you have exam can you leave rehab and attend?

8. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

:werd:

9. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

Seems like a total waste of 30k (in a mere 30 days...). Just commit to quitting with suboxone/ a tapering regime. Look up clinics in your area or talk to your doctor, I'm not sure how it works where you are. If you fuck up that way, at least it wouldn't have cost an unnecessarily gigantic assload of cash and you can simply try again. I'd say put school on hold until you are off though.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  10. I Flogged Molly

I Flogged Molly New Member

Don't fuck with suboxone. It'll just be another addiction you have to get over. Get into rehab, and take it seriously. To your parents, your life is priceless. If they need to spend $30k to help you, they'll do it. The best thing you can do is to respect their sacrifice by taking rehab seriously and living each day thankful for their gift.

As for school, don't sweat it. It would be better for you to be clean and clear before trying to take on bigger things. You need coping mechanisms to deal with the stress of school that don't involve drugs, because I promise that you will go right back to drug use if you run into problems in school. Get clean, stay clean, and get in school.

11. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

A doctor-supervised tapering regime can get you off of Suboxone. It is a stepping stone between highness and sobriety that has helped many. Your parents are willing to spend that money because they care, yes, but rehab is not guaranteed to work. Your parents do not "need" to spend a thousand dollars a day at such a dubious cash grab. Rehab is big business. You should consult a physician and look into other options.

Some people think rehab is a kind of magical washing-machine style cure for addiction when emotional spport from the ones you love along with a little determination can be just as effective (in addition to a tapered medication regime for the w/d's of course).

12. I Flogged Molly

Good luck willing away an addiction. This is not a matter of just finding support. He's obviously had support, and needs to fix his pathological thought processes. This is an addiction, not at all a simple process. Simple "detox and maintenance" won't fix him; he needs a professional including psychological therapy in order to teach him how to handle life without drugs. Even if it's not rehab, he needs professional help that goes beyond replacement therapy.

I know a lot of people think Suboxone fixes addiction, but it doesn't. It's a replacement therapy similar to methadone that just represents another chemical obstacle to overcome. Certain situations, it's fine for use. This doesn't sound like one of them

13. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

what a question

14. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

I never said he could will it away, and did recommend he see professionals. Suboxone provides a medically supervised alternative to illegal drugs. Once again... you can be tapered off of it. You obviously have no concept of opiate withdrawal. Going cold-turkey, even in rehab, would just be pointless suffering assuming he has a heavy tolerance.

A psychologist would be cheaper/potentially more effective than rehab as well.

15. I Flogged Molly

Youre right, I don't know anything about those newfangled opioid medications. :mamoru:

Nobody said anything about going cold turkey. I understand that suboxone provides an alternative, but his goal is not to replace a drug, as you see heroin addicts do with methadone, but to eliminate the drug from his life. He will need to be tapered down mos likely, but there's more to this than just "detox." that's where a lot of people go wrong - assuming that addiction is somehow a process with a single etiology. Lifestyle changes - and not the easy, DIY kind - are necessary here.

Just look at the research. Combination therapies work infinitely better than simple replacement and maintenance therapies. Token-based economies are actually the new wave of addiction treatment, which incorporate the biopsychosocial models of addiction rather than a simple disease model or physiological model, whose efficacies have been disputed for a long, long time.

But you're right, I don't really know much about addiction.

16. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

...The suboxone would be a medically-supervised legal alternative to the oxycodone which I doubt is being obtained legally, which he could then be tapered off. You seem to keep missing that part; Oh, guru of addiction lore. The tapering of the oxycodone would have to be just him and his own will as it is not controlled by a doctor. I also didn't recommend a single-pronged approach like you imply. The psychological aspects are just as important.

17. I Flogged Molly

And again, the goal of his treatment would not be maintenance, which is what Suboxone is designed for. Sure, you can taper down Suboxone, but why get him started on a new drug (that's 10 times more expensive than oxycodone, by the way) when in a "medically supervised" environment he can taper off the oxycodone as prescribed by a physician and not worry about introducing any new drugs?

You're a testy little fellow, aren't you?

18. I Flogged Molly

Sure, put him on the Suboxone for a couple days while he goes through withdrawal in a controlled setting. Prescribing suboxone for maintenance like you keep suggesting is ridiculous. It all comes back to needing to do this on a supervised basis, whether it means daily visits at a
    facility or inpatient care.

19. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

And again, I never recommended indefinate maintenance like you implied... The price isn't as significant as it is temporary. The doctors won't necessarily willing to prescribe the same drug he is getting off the street.

You act as if Suboxone would somehow compound the issue when it is simply a less abusable substitute for tapering. What you say it's designed for is irrelevant, it can be used for tapering just as well as for indefinate mantenance.

If by testy you mean: "able to identify pretentiousness", then yes I am. :rolleyes:

20. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Ridiculous....rehab.....no matter what it takes or costs.

21. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

You dont think I could do it with just NA?

22. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

There is nothing to talk about.
    Rehab is more important.

Oxy's are an awful thing. Just ask Rush Limbaugh.

23. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

CHOOSE REHAB

That is, if you really want to actually get clean. I missed half of my senior year of HS and my graduation because I was in treatment, and it's the best thing that I ever did in my life. For me, there would be no point in choosing school over rehab because I would just be nodding out in classes and failing out of school anyway.

24. jonno

jonno New Member

exactly. coming from someone who/has struggled with the same addiction you need rehab. those credits aren't going anywhere. take a semester or a year off. sure you'll be behind a bit... but its really a small price to pay to get your life back.. and if all you've spent is 2k on that shit.... consider yourself lucky. very lucky. quit now, while you can.

25. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

I agree. See if you can take some of your courses while in there as well.