SRS Regret about lost opportunities

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by selvo, Mar 9, 2006.

1. selvo

selvo New Member

Im 26 right now, but I have this overwhelming feeling I have blown the chances given to me when i was younger 17-22.

Out of high school my father offered me a start in his feild, which is hard to get a start in and that makes pretty good money. I choose to attend college for a couple of years which I did poorly at (and dont plan to re-attend). My Dads just about retired and its to late to start work with him.

Alot of my peers have done well, yet Ive really only got a few years of work experience and a few grand to my name.

So in the end, I was wondering what people do to get over what could of been and move forward, lately its been in my mind bringing me down for the last 6 months.

2. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

you can regret this and painfully do nothing or learn about your experience and change what's wrong....26 is not too late to go back to school, study soemthing you like and then kick ass...

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Shoulda woulda coulda whatever. There's nothing you can do about lost oppurtunities and the past now. Take control of your life from this day forward. Do what makes you happy and what you WANT to do in life.
    Believe me, working at a job that makes you happy is a lot better than working at a job that you are miserable at.

4. hatedbyall

hatedbyall New Member

dont let the past stop you, just put it behind you and move on to better stuff

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Regrets, aren't mentionworthy for what lies ahead of you is only whats left of your future. In the end it where your choices wether to act or not to act, its a reflection of your soul and the pathway you tried to carve out. Life never goes the way we want it to go. What really matters is that we don't give up and give ourselves a chance.Understanding that grabbing chances + oppertunities is something that we have to learn too, and if you learned the importance of that because you didn't took your oppertunities in the past , then at least you've learned something, that is if you grab those chances that lie in the future.

I've learned that life isn't completely unforgiving, of course screwing around will cost you, but a new chance is like a new beautifull spring that will arrive every once in a while for everyone.

6. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

Just let it be. When you tell yourself that your life isn't what it was supposed to be, you're going to head nowhere but down. Nobody's life is ever what they would have imagined at 17. Your life is what it is, and thinking it could have been more is wrong. You cant change what you've done, but you can change what you're doing.

7. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Yes. Take only a second to regret it and realize chit happens. K done? Now plan out for your future and forget what could be, because EVERYONE has missed out on some oppurtunities.. just a part of life.

8. Easygo

Easygo New Member

26?

Regret at that age for this kind of thing is a GOOD feeling. It shows, from your heart, that you now know should have done something, and you are clear about that. At 26, you still have time to do it. Maybe now not with your father, but you can still do that.

Do it.

Sometimes it's called 'making up for lost time', but it's not really. You did the best you could earlier, and now you are CLEAR about what you should be doing.

Do it.

People older than you (like me) can read your message and think "wow, he is lucky that he figured it out at ONLY 26".

Do it, do it now.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  9. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I agree.

It's never too late to do anything you want to do. How many times have you seen actors, professionals, accomplished scientists, etc. who didn't start their road towards success until much later in life?

I'm reminded of that every time I'm in the last mile of a long race...where I'm barely moving and I'm sweating bullets. Along comes a guy 3 times my age flying by like he's just warming up....

Age is is not a limiting factor to do anything you want to do. The only crime is not doing anything.

10. teo

teo . => ? => !

If you had accepted that job offer with your father, you might be in the same place today wondering what had happened had you gone to college. You'd probably be saying "I could be making so much more had I gone and studied XYZ". I've gone through several times in my life where I thought afterward that I made crappy choices (they were indeed crappy) and wasted time (I did waste time). However, I also learned some valuable lessons that I would not have learned had I not done something stupid and suffered through the consequences. So, learn from it and move on - that's what life's about.

Life's what you make of it. If you think it's a failure, then it's a failure. If you think it's a smashing success - it's exactly that.

11. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

Agreed, and I'm grasping for my new chance with all that I'm worth :).