Regression pic... version 1.0MMAisHarderThanItLooks

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by 2000GT, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

In the past 6 months or so I have been training MMA (Mua Thai, Kickbox, Pankration) as well as started playing flag football twice a week. I lift 3 times a week with a program that is just clean and jerk, bench, and squat. I run stairs once a week. Not to mention I have torn 2 discs in my back, one disc is quite dilapidated :(

Its not a great pic but I went from about 215-217 solid to hovering around 200-205. I simply cannot take in enough calories to maintain size. My strength actually isnt as bad as I thought it was. Despite my back pain I can still do some work at 405 on the squat rack, and linger in the mid 200's and very low 300's on my C&J... My bench has suffered most I suppose, but I am not as concerned as I am really training for power and endurance that is functional in the ring or on the field.

[​IMG]

I only hope that in the years to come I can make gains like GnP does and get back to looking a bit like a monkey, however, I believe it takes time!

2. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Still looking solid, man.

Isn't that alot of stress still on your back...the clean and jerk?

3. Equipped

Equipped Guest

Are you rolling your shoulders foward in that pic?

4. whoismrskantz

whoismrskantz Active Member

Still looking good. Why don't you have rows or something incorporated in the workout for your back?

5. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

thanks... it is stress but how it was explained to me is the stress I need to worry about is rotating or torquing stress. I keep the weight lower so I have impecable form. The injury becomes a problem when I am lifting a weight and I twist. As long as I stay completely straight and pressure is only vertical, my back is fine.

6. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Nope.. would say pulling them back more to be honest.

7. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

your traps are always beefy :cool:

8. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Well the clean and jerk helps my upper back, shoulders and traps. Honestly, its not really necassary for the power I want to be available. I am so sore all the time from training other things that the gym has become a much lower priority. I cant afford to be sore all the time when I train so I do the minimum I need to.

The program was given to me by Canada's ex wrestling coach. He himself was the number 3 wrestler in the world in the early 70's I believe and he has coached the canada wrestling team for 13 years. I trust his judgement.

9. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

thanks bro, you're hot!

10. Equipped

Equipped Guest

Your traps are massive, still looking good to me.

11. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

What was your wrestling background again?
    And are you also planning to fight soon?

12. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I dont have a wrestling background :( I played rugby and soccer, ended up with a stress fracture in my left shin, so I had to stop.
    I started MMA and now I love it. I feel I suck salty donkeys balls at it though, so I need to continue to train and train harder. I would like to fight sometime next year, but it could be a lot farther away... Guys at my gym train day and night to fight and live MMA... I can only give about 6-8 hours a week to training due to ridiculous work schedule, weight training, football.

(I took karate when I was a pre-teen, but I dont think thats counts ;))

13. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I keep hearing about them, but I dont really understand the excersize, maybe cause I have never seen the machine that you do them with???

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I have a friend about your weight and height (6' or 6'1?) who wrestled in high school (went to Provincials etc.). Took up sambo and in 6 months was cleaning up at his weight class in amateur pankration tourneys in the province and even stateside.

15. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Interesting... I would love to learn Sambo, but I just dont have the time. My main issue as well is that I cannot roll too much (ground work) cause of my back. There is a lot of twisting and straining which is sort of a worrysome thing with my back that I cannot control.

16. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

Sambo is cool, I use a couple of neck cranks and leg locks and compresssions from it. The thing I like is that most BJJ guys don't see it coming....for example when you get a bjj guy's back and he turtles.....dig your righ elbow into his spine right below the shoulder blades, his head will pop up automatically and you can crossface with the left to grab the right hand which is still dug into the back.....turns it into a vicous neck crank when they were just worried about the RNC.

I feel your pain though, my back has been bothering me a lot lately so I had to back off a little......you really should look into having your back tractioned a few times a week....that shit helps.

17. Cyndia

Cyndia New Member

:yum:

lookin mighty fine.

18. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Had ART done quite a bit, but the doc explained that there isnt much I can do until disc heals. Nothing I do will stop the tear from leaking and causing that pain, cept for taking it easy.

19. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

that neck crank sounds pretty brutal, I am definitely going to try it when I heal. Another move that I like to do that a lot of bjj'ers don't expect is when they are turtled up, throw 1 hook in and go for a twister (or wrestling guillotine). I only recently started trying it and hit it with much success unexpectedly.

And to the original poster... yes bjj is definitely fucking hard on the lower back, I strained my lower back almost 2 weeks ago from a tournament. I can't even lie down without feeling a ridiculous amount of pain.

20. FOoM

FOoM En Vogue-

Same thing happend to me when I started training seriously, your body starts revolving into a different beast, a smaller form but a more functional form.

21. Undefined

Undefined New Member

what exactly does having your back tractioned mean? i've had ART for a neck condition and the guy said he was gonna do traction and basically he just was yanking on my legs in various directions while doing some ART to my mid back muscles stretching them. it felt good as hell, but what is the actual "traction" part of it?

22. knucks

knucks Active Member

still looking solid man

is that a fauxhawk i spy :squint:?

23. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

arg... yeah you got me.. its not actually faux, I have my head shaved and a line of hair down the middle, I know its a bit :greddy: but I hair grows back, and the girlies love it.

24. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

looking good man, you kinda look like where I want to be. But your chest genetics are better than mine:(

25. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

tractioning is just pulling the spine apart wich allows blood to get to the discs and relieves pressure and fluid build up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.