Registry Cleaner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hikemonster, Dec 3, 2008.

1. hikemonster

hikemonster New Member

Are they good? Is there a free one that you can reccommend? My hard drive is full of stuff from the last user. I just want to wipe it clean and start over.

2. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

CCleaner can do this. Never had any problems with it, except when I ran it just after installing a program. Registry Manager also.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Since as you put it 'it's full of stuff from the last user' if you can it would be better to just reformat and reinstall the OS so you have a clean system to work from.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Automatic registry cleaners either don't get most of the crap in the Registry, or else they run the risk of deleting important Registry keys, because no program can possibly know exactly how every other program on earth uses its Registry keys -- so it has to guess at what's still important and what isn't.

The Registry usually doesn't need to get cleaned out. On rare occasion a program will leave behind a Registry key that actually causes problems, but 99.9% of the time old Registry keys just sit there and wait for you to reinstall the program that created them in the first place. I wouldn't worry about it.

Microsoft SysInternals makes two programs, one called RegOpt and the other called PageDefrag; RegOpt builds exact duplicates of the existing Registry files and swaps them in place of the old ones, and PageDefrag defragments files that normally can't be defragmented while Windows is running. That should give you all the optimization you'll actually need.

5. scissorhands7

scissorhands7 New Member

Completely agree. Cleaning the registry does not speed up your computer, it only removes a couple megabytes of data if that. CCleaner doesn't exactly have a good history with the registry cleaner as I have read many complaints about it deleting important registry files. If you must and I mean absolutely must use one and there is no way you will be disuaded. Use Registry Mechanic. It costs money but it has a decent track record.

6. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

I never trust that stuff. The only time I touch the registry is when I'm using revouninstaller to remove the program - and even then I let it delete only the related program files.

7. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

did it one time and it worked fine. next time I did it - it removed some active program keys.....removed and reinstalled that program and it still gave me problems. reformatted to cut my losses.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I touch the Registry all the time, but only to manually edit Registry keys, make backups, and make .REG files that I can use to automatically change settings on new company computers. Aside from that, I'll use RegOpt every now and then to remove deleted keys from the Registry database (deleted keys aren't actually erased, so they still take up space). That's pretty much it.

9. ssj4gogita4

ssj4gogita4 Active Member

ccleaner works for me

10. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

if you need to use a registry cleaner...or your computer is running slow...or your getting lots of errors, using a registry cleaner will either not help - or it will be a temp. fix.
    the best thing to do is to format and reinstall