? regarding AGP and my system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Keywerd Aohell, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Keywerd Aohell

Keywerd Aohell New Member

I have a IBM NetVista with a model number 6832-71u and the specs for it can be found here http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-44339 . I've upgarded a few pieces of it already, including the RAM. I was looking to upgrade the video card a little bit but I'm not sure what would be compatible and worth the money. I'd probably get either a 128/256 card but was wondering if its even worth it because of the AGP 8x issue. The current card is a Nvidia geforce 2 GTS 4x AGP. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

According to the site you have either a 1.5 or 1.7GHz Intel.
    Some would say i'm wrong but anything in the nVidia FX series would good, atleast 5700 or better.

At the most I wouldn't go any higher than a 6200 maybe a 6600. Anything higher and the CPU will bottleneck the video card.

It might be possible to upgrade the CPU, but don't expect to upgrade too much maybe at the most of a 2Ghz. I didn't try too hard looking, but I didn't find anything about what the max CPU speed the mobo supports is

3. Keywerd Aohell

Excellent, I do have the 1.7ghz and wasn't looking to spend anything more than the 5k or 6k's. Thanks for your input.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

5 to 6 thousand USD?

5. Keywerd Aohell

No, the 5k or 6k series of cards.