regaining (not gaining) strength without carbs

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by reminisce, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

ok so i know this might sound like a question that would warrant a "go read the fucking stickies" but i don't think it is and i'm looking for some insight.
    i kept a log for a while but haven't updated it in a while, extremely busy with school + work and then went on vacation for the week ending last friday.

prior to the vacation i switched over to a high fat, high protein, low carb diet with <50g carbs on workout days and <80 on workout days with very little cheating. i aimed for 2200-2300 cals/day. lost 12 lbs in ~a month from 194-182 with not too much strength loss.

my diet blew over vacation - not enough protein, lots of carbs, etc. now that i am back my strength is drastically fucked. not that i had crazy strength in the first place, but what used to be my warmup sets feel heavy as shit. the wierd thing is that i actually look better than i have in a while - it doesn't look like i lost muscle, top abs are visible, waist much smaller, vascularity, etc. still at 182 lbs.

now for my question - i know strength comes back to you more easily then gaining the strength in the first place, could i do this continuing on a high fat diet or do i need to go back to carbs/bulking in order to trigger muscle memory?

just to clarify: i know i need to bulk back up to make new strength gains, but could lost strength from just a couple weeks ago be regained while still cutting?

any insight appreciated :wavey:

2. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

eat more carbs around your workout, i'd got for like 150g per day

3. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

you lost 12 pounds in one month of course your strength will suffer

4. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

yes, this would be expected. however my strength loss during that month was very minimal and i even made gains on a few of my lifts. but during that one week vacation where i didn't go to the gym my strength was destroyed as if i took a year off from the gym.

for example, a couple days before i left i hit 185 x 1 on clean and press which was a PR for me. today in the gym i did strict press 95x10, 95x10, then 135x2 and failed on the third rep. isn't that a drastic loss for one week or am i just an idiot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.