Refurbished ibook g3

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TacoOverlord, Jul 28, 2006.

1. TacoOverlord

TacoOverlord OT Supporter

I'm a longtime pc user, but as a commuter college student I'm looking for a cheap, reliable laptop for word processing/wireless internet purposes.

I've found that I can get a (new style case) refurbished 900 mhz ibook g3 with 256 ram for $325. I would probably upgrade the ram (how much max?) and throw in an airport card.

Would this ibook be an ideal solution at a low price for what I'm doing? or should I look elsewhere? I'm not looking to game or do anything overly intensive on it.

Sorry for the lame questions, but I'm a mac newbie

thanks

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

might be a bit slow, see if you can get a second hand powerbook g4. They are faster & usually have better options.

3. TacoOverlord

Keep in mind I'm a reasonably poor college student. I'm looking to spend 450ish bucks. Would it have issues with instant messaging/word processing/browsing? or just if I threw a lot at it at once?

4. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

No it would handle all of that easily. Max out the ram with the left over money and I think you'll be fine. I'm assuming it doesn't have a dvd drive so installing Tiger would be a problem, Panther works fine for me though! I just got a 500mhz G3 iMac and I was surprised at how fast it was.

5. TacoOverlord

thanks, I figured it would be. If I manage to come up with a little extra cash I might spring for a g4, but I guess we'll see.

6. doublemeat

doublemeat New Member

My advice would be to get a G4. G3's are pretty slow for todays software. Just to get OS X to run decently requires at least 512 megs of RAM on a G4 chip.

Unless someone is going to give you a G3 for free to run OS 9, I'd pass.

7. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Those had logic board failures left and right, why you see so many refurbs. Plus my 1.3ghz G4 ibook max's out the CPU watching youtube flash videos :ugh2:

Don't get a g3 unless you run a lightweight linux.

Save up and get the base macbook. Probably only $200 or so more than a slightly used g4 ibook.

I love my macbook. The screen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> that low res washed out pos my 12" g4 ibook had. Plus the cpu is about 4 times faster lol.

8. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

man up dog /denzel

get a second job at wendy's or something for a month - don't be a pussy

9. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Alright, I've got an 800MHz G3 iBook, with 384 MB of RAM, and I can handle everything he listed (Wordprocessing, internet, aim, iTunes, Mail etc).

I usually have Azureus running in the background, and I can opperate Safari and AIM and iTunes at the same time with minimum slowdowns.

10. TacoOverlord

haha, I'm working full time, for the summer, so I'm making some bank. I guess it's not so much that I'm poor as that I have a couple of expensive hobbies haha.

11. TacoOverlord

Thanks, I appreciate the input.