refreshing my m3's paint, tell me what to buy

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Bavarian3, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

so i have an estoril m3 and want to restore its paint. the paint is dirty and wasnt well taken care of.

ive read all the stickies, but want recommendations based on my goals and method of application.

my goal with the paint is to clean it up well with a claybar, and to restore the shine and depth with whatever polish, sealant, and waxes i need. i will be doing this all by hand. i have no swirls or scratches im concerned about that leads to want some heavy polishes or anything. i really just want that deep wet look back in the paint. ready and willing to sacrifice my arm and plenty of hours to do a good job, and want to use high quality products.

here she is, all advice is appreciated. thanks guys.

[​IMG]

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Make it easier on yourself and buy a PC at least. That is going to take so long with no experience and just by hand. Hell buy one and then return it and say you dont like it or something.

3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Oh and I cant tell you what to use by hand because I never have done that. Scott would be the best to tell you that because he used to do everything by hand.

If you get a machine, I would be happy to help.

4. Essence

Essence New Member

nice car... you on BF.C?

5. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

if you really read all the stickies...then you shouldnt even have to ask.

Even just read a few threads in here and you'll figure out what you want to buy.

6. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

well whats the cheapest i can get away with a PC for? i didnt plan on using one simply because ive had such good experience applying things by hand in the past, and im not trying to get rid of any scratches or swirls that would really need a tool

thanks man, ive been on BFC for a long time.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Trust me, I detailed professionally for the first nearly 10 years or so I was in business-you want to purchase a Porter Cable or UDM to do the polishing. The UDM is probably a better choice, more power and it comes with a quality polishing pad and backing plate.

If the paint is good, Optimum Polish with a polishing pad, Optimum Poli-Seal with a polishing pad, and a couple coats (to ensure even coverage) of Opti-Seal. That combo will look very good on that color.

8. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

thanks man, so you think itd be a waste to use those optimum polishes without a PC?

one more thing, whats the new hotness on waxes to finish off the polish? everyone still using s100 and nxt?