reformatting v.omgwtf

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fiya, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Fiya

Fiya Guest

So, my other computer finally crashed. I formally kept it and deemed it my 'spam' machine seeing as it's the only computer that had any downloading programs such as limewire, etc... and w/o virus protection, it was an open book. I also hadn't gotten around to downloading mozilla for it, even though that would have been healthier as well...

I had already partitioned the drive, and kept it moderately clean, minus the virus damage that was underlying.

What I need to know is: after deleting, and wiping the whole system clean, and rebooting Windows XP on it, will it function as new, or just a less messed up version of it's former self? Hardware, aside from the graphics card, which needs replaced, is fine to the best of my knowledge.

So, unless reformatting can somehow burn out or crash the hard drive, etc, I shouldn't have any problems, right? :noes:

I just need the basic low down of what I'm going to be expiriencing here, and if there is going to arise a problem, how and what needs to be done to improve ?:hsugh:

2. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

If you fully format it and rebuild from the ground up it shouldn't have any problems.

3. Fiya

Fiya Guest

it just gave me the prompt to put in a disk labeled 'service pack 2'

downloading from microsoft, fun fun.

4. Fiya

Fiya Guest

ok.... I burned it on to a bootable data disk, should I just burn it as a regular data disk?

I'm thinking maybe the computer doesn't recognize drive D?? It's not picking up the disk, and it says it need the file 'asms' form it.

Also, when it shows the option to choose the D drive, it says "D:/l836" or something, what is the problem!?

5. Fiya

Fiya Guest

ok new development, I got a dialogue box that says

"Setup failed to install the products catalogs. This is a fatal error. The files should contain more information."

WTF did I do wrong.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Something is wrong with your install disc, or your service pack download, or whatever you're trying to install. If it's a ripoff copy of XP, you can't really complain. If it's a faulty SP2 download, you'll just have to download it again.

7. Fiya

Fiya Guest

got it working...

had trouble because it didn't pick up the ethernet connection or the audio driver... but I'm semi-savvy so I just DLed it off of the other computer and manually installed... seems to be running in really good shape, downloading at 600+ kb/s so yay.

oh yeah, HPs suck.

8. deusexaethera

Glad you got it working.

All prebuilt PCs suck. Even prebuilt Macs would suck by comparison, if it were possible to build your own.

9. fr00t

fr00t New Member

Sure its possible! :naughty:

10. deusexaethera

Note the article about the shitty, noisy fans in the new MacBooks...:hsugh: