Reformatting the Right Way

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FarBeyondDriven, Dec 7, 2004.

1. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

I'm reformatting my computer today because I can't stand how horrible it is running. Before, I plan on copying all my movies, music, pics, etc to burned dvd's.
    After, when I reformat and install XP Pro, what should be my next steps after that?

Firefox first?
    Then Drivers?
    What Next?
    What windows updates to run, and what not to... NO SP2, I have had nothing but bad results even on fresh installs...

Can anyone help me out here?
    Thanks.

2. gaybutsex

gaybutsex New Member

What's it matter, what order you do things!?

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Before you format
    1. Make sure your Windows XP cd already is patched up with SP1 + fixes (I am anti-sp2)
    2. Download and burn all your drivers. Make sure they are the latest, your CD's are usually outdated that came with the product
    3. Backup (Which you are doing)
    4. (Optional) I like to keep a copy of FF/TB on my Flashdrive, that i can use for installs post format.
    5. (Optional if you are behind a hardware firewall and not dmz) Unplug ur net connection. Why? If ur XP cd isn't patched and you have direct access to the net, you still can get hit with blaster/etc.

After Format
    1. Drivers
    2. Install FF/TB + Plugins (Flash/Shockwave/Java VM)
    3. Recover backup software
    4. Reinstall software that you use.

I find that works for me. Ive been doing that for many years now w/o any problems. WIndows 2000 included in those years.

4. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

Why are you anti SP2? IMHO, it's the best thing M$ has ever done. :p

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

If you have done any research into it, for every hole they fix, another one is open, including a problem with their "new" firewall, which still blows ass.

6. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

Well, it's a known fact that I am exceedingly stupid. :rolleyes: Call me shocked that Windows is insecure, regardless of the service pack. The fact remains, the end user "security enhancements" are nice. They help prevent even the stupidest of users from installing spyware and other malware. Since I've deployed SP2 at various sites, my overall Windows service calls have decreased. Will SP2 have a million holes poked through it in the next few weeks and months? Probably so, but how is that different from SP1?

7. who?

who? Guest

a little offtopic, but how do you get protection from the blaster worm if you cant install windows sp1/sp2 because of an invalid cd key?

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Make sure you have either a router with a firewall between your system and the net, or disconnect from the net before reinstall the OS and then make sure that XP's firewall is active.
    Then connect to the net and get the OS updates, followed by driver updates.
    Then anti-virus (and it's updates), Firefox, spyware removal tools (you never know and it can't hurt), and then so on and so forth.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

stop being a douchebag and buy a legit copy :coolugh: