Reformatting EVERYTHING...?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2xPutt, Jan 11, 2008.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

alright, I'm once again thinking about selling my desktop and getting a laptop. But I'm so god damned paranoid that I don't like the idea of selling my computer to other people I don't know, BUT no one around here wants to pay a pretty penny for an XPS, so the 'net will be the only way to go. The thing I want to ask if is there a way to make sure every last bit of information is erased from this computer? Like I said before, I am paranoid as hell and I want to make sure my credit card numbers, bank numbers, and passwords and such can't be retrieved from some program if I reformat it. Will a simple reformat wipe it clean and prevent stuff like that from coming back or do I need to go one step short of completely smashing/replacing the HDD before selling? :mamoru: thanks!

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

You have 2 choices.
    1. Go out and buy a cheapo hard drive for the old computer, swap drives and put your old drive in a USB enclosure and use it with your laptop. The buyer of your tower will get the new drive you bought.
    This isn't really as bad of an idea as it sounds. Hard drives are pretty cheap these days, especially if you are willing to get a smaller sized drive.

2. Go with a program that will do several passes when overwriting the data on your hard drive.

I did a search on Sourceforge.org and found this utility:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/
    If you google 'hard drive whipe' you will find many such programs you can pay for.
    The bottom line is that you want to erase your drive on SEVERAL passes not just one.

Here is the thing. Being paranoid about this IS a smart thing. The best security you can have is to swap out your old drive for a new drive and keep your old drive.
    But if you want to sell the computer WITH your old hard drive you need to do more then just a long defrag. You need something that will overwrite the data several times.

3. etech

etech New Member

I agree with Stilgar, that you must be careful and take precautions, but I'm not quite as paranoid.

Once the data has been overwritten on your hard drive there is no way to recover that data without taking the disks out of the hard drive, mounting them on special equipment and recovering the data. It's not a cheap procedure and not one your common thief would resort to.

My preference is to download the disk makers utility and preform a zero fill and then if you want further peace of mind to use a multi-pass wiper.

The zero-fill program will write zero's to the entire drive.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Eraser is for deleting data on the drive while in XP.

You want to wipe the drive clean and secure. KillDisk is what you want here. http://www.killdisk.com/
    The free version should be enough for you; run it a couple times might be better. The Pro/Full version will let you run a USDoD (US Department of Defense) level of erase which is atleast 7 passes but you even let it run more passes than that as well.

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

dban it

6. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

+1 for dban

7. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member