Reformatting A Computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2xPutt, Dec 13, 2005.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

how hard is it to do? is it as simple as putting in the disk and sitting back and waiting? I have windows XP, i'm not sure what the hell to do, but I know this computer needs a reformat badly. I have an external harddrive, if I put everything I want from my harddrive on the computer to the external, will I lose any of it? or will it be completely safe? also, I have an "aftermarket" video card, do I have to do anything special to that when reformatting? my friend once told me that you had to take the new one out, put the old one in, reformat, update drivers, then put the new one back in.. :ugh:...

thanks for any help, i'm a complete idiot on this shit, lol.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Assuming that you have a real Windows XP disk (not one of those restore disks that comes with pre-built systems), you can put it in, and follow the steps to re-format the hard drive and then re-install. Copy the files you want to keep onto your external HD and then unplug it and you're guaranteed that they will be fine.

Better to leave the video card that you actually use in there. That way you don't install two sets of drivers when you only need one.

3. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

i didn't buy windows XP, it came with my computer..... I have an unopened package that says Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition "For distribution with a new Dell PC only." it's in like a green packaging. would that be the one I would put in to reboot the system?

thanks for your help

EDIT: the cd is purple and says "Reinstallation CD"

4. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

How old is the Dell? I know the new ones come with a Dell-ized version of windows, and another disk or three with the various software on it.

5. couchlock

couchlock OT Supporter

chances are you can use your Dell Reinstall disk, its pretty simple, put it in the drive and restart, if you comp is set to boot to CDROM first, which is should be, then it will tell you to push a key to begin setup, the rest is pretty straightforward. downside to this isyou get a bunch of useless dell crap, but you dont sound like you have much of a choice