reformating w2k?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by the_padawan, Mar 23, 2004.

1. the_padawan

the_padawan Guest

hey all,
    i've recently acquired an apparently old machine that's running windows 2000. it insists on a password for login, even for safe mode or command prompt. the person who left me this machine doesn't remember the pw.

i dont care much for accessing windows 2k, i want to reformat and install redhat 9. however, the machine wont boot from the CD-rom and i can't get it into BIOS (dont' know how).

i tried booting from floppies: it takes a four disk set. after it reads all four disks it gives a stop screen error (hardware problem?). I don't think I'm using any outrageous hardware; the only thing i've added is a keyboard and monitor.

any advice on how to make this computer useful?
    thanks all

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well first there's getting into the BIOS. That should be just holding down DEL at the bootup. Sometimes it's ESC or another escape sequence, you just have to be watching for it.

Secondly, if all you want to is nuke the drive, goto www.bootdisk.com and download the Win98SE Customized boot disk. That will allow you to boot with one floppy and will give you access to the CD drive. It also has fdisk and format on there if you want to prep your HD first.

3. the_padawan

the_padawan Guest

hey thanks man,

i've gotten to the dos prompt using the win98SE custom disk, but i dont see how to get to the CD drive. im probly doing something horribly wrong, i tried just typing d: and e: and so on up to about n: but no dice. do i need to run one of the programs on the boot disk to access the CD drive?

also how do you recommend i start reformatting? reformat first then load linux or fdisk first?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

When it reboots it will say something about MSCDEX using drive letter ____. If it's an old piece of shit CDROM it may not have drivers to see it, but the boot disk does work for all current drives that I've come across.

As for the second question, I don't know - never installed Linux so I'm not sure what your options are. I would Fdisk the drive first regardless (delete all partitions). From there, you'll have to ask someone else.