reformating HP pc questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by russd10089, Jan 1, 2005.

1. russd10089

russd10089 New Member

Since my HP came with a restore disk, i think i have to use it for reformating. That, and i don't have a copy of windows XP (other than restore disk)

I'm positive i'll have no problem doing a complete restore, but, the only questions i really have are:
    I used Partition Magic to make my 160g hd and turn it into a 100g and 60g partitions. If i restore, will i lose all info from both partitions, or will it just restore the partition it boots to?
    And, if it only restores the first partition, will the secondary conflict after restore, because of Partition Magic?

Thanks

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

juist the boot partition will be formatted. do you have games/applications installed on the second partition? if so those will need to be reinstalled.

3. russd10089

russd10089 New Member

i understand what would need to be reinstalled. I just didn't really wanna have to reload all my music. Some of it is local bands, and i didn't wanna have to find em all to borrow their CD's again.

Thank you very much.

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

music will be fine.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it really depends on how their restore is. Some use a norton ghost image -- others get more creative. Without doing it, no one can guarantee anything. But to be honest, a good restore will certainly "restore" everything to factory.

6. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

My HP came with a second partition from the factory... a sys_save or something like that. When I would restore, it wouldn't effect the contents of the 2nd partition.

It might serve you well to just find a copy of WinXP and just use that, as the HP restore disk is packed with GARBAGE. A copy shouldn't be too hard to find... walmart, BB, CC, Newegg, etc. should have them for around $100 (or much less on OEM sites).