Reformat question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pioneer, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

Maybe reformat is the wrong word but .....

Now that I've got a WORKING external drive :squint:

If I go into Windows Explorer and drag/drop programs from C (where they are) to K (the external), will they work from there or do I need to 'install' them there to work?

Such items as .... iTunes, printers, cameras ..... stuff I don't want to have to install/upload/download again.

My thinking is ... transfer all I want, disconnect the drive, purge the system, reconnect the drive, and have all my stuff without taking two weeks to upload my music collection again.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

When you install a program, it does a lot more than just copy files into a folder. The system will expect them to be on C, not on K and most of them either won't work, or won't work properly. Likewise, if you installed them to K, then wiped out your Windows, the new Windows wouldn't run them because it would be lacking all of the registry entries and files copied to it.

The data is another story. Things like pictures, Word docs, music, etc can be run from where ever they are, provided the correct application is installed. What you'll want to do is go through your system and copy any data files of value to your external drive. After you install a clean Windows, reload your applications and copy your data back.

3. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

what mdaniel said. you can save all your music and standalone files. but you'll have to reinstall all of your software.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You should still copy all of your software folders, because even though you'll have to reinstall them, you can overwrite the re-installed software with the backup copy to restore all of your old settings, saved games, etc.

But yes, just copying them won't be enough.

5. Create

Create :free at last:

Assuming your external is on a usb connection any program you actually install to the external will run at a snail's pace.

6. soundmaster2.0

soundmaster2.0 Toasted OT Supporter

I have found that a lot of opensource software like firefox will run from my flash drive where ever I go. But as far as normal programs yea they wont work unless you instsall them there.

7. Pioneer

Interesting ....

I just did the system recovery and all of my programs (mozilla, itunes, etc) are still there I just need to bring all the data back.

Last time I did a recovery I had to reinstall all the programs.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Do the programs work? Or are they just there?

9. Pioneer

a couple of them take reinstalling. I expected to have to DL them again.