Reformat makes an old problem resurface. AMD/A3d chipset problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Nacho, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

For some reason, when i first got my computer, when playing a game, i'd periodically lose sound in the game. It was a global problem, so when i got out of the game, whether it be Counter-Strike, Ghost Recon, Freespace, whatever, it would persist. It's not limited to one game, however it never seems to happen in just Windows. I recall finding a fix back int eh day that changed a variable in what seemed to be deep in a DLL or possibly in the registry, changing what the comptuer saw the card as, or one of the hard locations. I forgot which, it's been about 2 years since I did it. It also persisted going from a Diamond A3d card to a turtle beach card, so it was something in the motherboard hardware/bios, or something, i just can't remember what. :o

Anyway, i've got an old KT266A motherboard (Epox, if it matters), an AMD Athlon 1800+, and now a turtle beach A3d based sound card. I have the most up-to-date drivers for everything involved, so there's no fix that's super-easy.

Can anyone help me here?

2. MP

MP New Member

well when you formatted you probably wiped out the driver that fixed the problem. Are all your motherboard / video card / sound card drivers up to date? Along with windows?

3. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

I'm aware what I did, but it was so long ago, i'd forgotten that I even had fixed it........... till the problem came back.

And, as stated, all drivers are the most current.

4. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.