redoing my setup - need some education

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gui3, Jul 19, 2004.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

since i originally did my system in my bronco, things have broken, parts have become mismatched, etc....and i want to re-do everything except my subs.

the goal is a nice mid-range SQ setup;
    75 - 100W RMS to each speaker;
    pioneer head unit to drive it all (i like pioneer, i use the AUX input for my mp3 player, etc)

so here are my questions:

up front i have 2 6.5'', and rear i have 2 6x8's.
    this may sound dumb, but if i get a 4-channel amp, will a newer head unit process the sound individually to the 4 channels, almost like a surround-sound setup? or is it just power-splitting?

i'm having trouble finding a set of 6x8's that will match the power handling of a set of 6.5''s. since i have the subs in the back, would i make more sense to just get all 6/5''s so all the power is even?

it sounds stupid to me to mismatch the RMS power, because then i end up either overdriving one set or underdriving another.

2. 04

04 Guest

The pioneer most likely wont do a surround sound type effect on the rear speakers, it will almost certainly be the same signal as the front channels.

As for matching amplifier power with speaker ratings, I would not worry about that. You can overpower or underpower a speaker and it usually is fine unless you like turning the volume way up. You cant really have too powerfull of an amplifier on a speaker, but you will need to be more carefull if you do use a high powered amp.

Also note that just because you match the power ratings on the amplifier and speakers does not mean that they wont blow up.

3. gui3

well i do like to play the music loud pretty often; i guess you have to define "way up".

i guess the question is, do i go with something like 50W RMS x 4 and turn it up, or 100W RMS x 4 and not *have to* turn it up?

4. 04

04 Guest

Well at best the difference between those two amps is 3dB, which isnt all that large. So in either case you would still probably driving both amps into clipping.

By using a lower powered amp, you can worry less about destroying your speakers - *but* that still doesnt mean it cant happen.

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I'm one to forego rear speakers entirely and spend the extra money on better front speakers and associated amplification.

6. gui3

well here's my current setup:

polk 6x8's - 100W RMS
    infinity kappa 62.1's 70W RMS
    precisionpower ppc450
    pioneer deh-7200.

i can play it at *almost* full volume on the HU without damaging the speakers, and i've had them for a few years.

i do want to keep my rear speakers tho