RedHat Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ijustwantpics, Oct 7, 2004.

1. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

I picked up a new cheap box with RedHat on it. I just planned on messing around with it since I've never used RedHat, and maybe some networking bs to learn a thing or two.

I'm just wondering, from those guys that use it, what are the pros and cons of it? The GUI looks good, kinda cool to use something different. Thoughts? :x:

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Get SuSE instead. Much better distro.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

If you're refering for home usage, all versions of linux are equal to a degree highly dependent on the user's level of expertise. Fedora core 2 is fairly easy to use and quite compatible with most home user products.

If this is for work on the enterprise level, then Redhat Advanced Server and Suse are ion's above and beyond anyone else. Suse is a close second, due to lack of support for some hardware. But, linux in general, even the 64-bit version, is no where near other mature versions of UNIX. I'd give it may be 3-5 years. The 2.6 kernel is heading towards the right direction.

4. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

9.2 came out today :)

5. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

By mature version of UNIX I suppose you mean Solaris (based on your av), among others like SGI IRIX, HP UX? So, in what sense are they superior?

I guess FreeBSD/OpenBSD/OS X won't exactly fall into enterprise level. Although FreeBSD is used by Yahoo and "borrowed" by Apple...

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Yes, Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, AIX, IRIX, etc... Most important to me is scalability. Not as a distributed cluster, Linux performs quite well with many small machines, but scalability in CPU's, memory, I/O, and especially storage.

CPU and memory scale much better now, but the hugemem kernel does still have its bugs.

Currently with the 2.4 kernel that comes with RHEL AS can only support 256 luns per target and is even limited by a max of 256 logical sd devices in total. That is crap when one needs a box to host TB's of storage.

ext3 isn't up to par yet either. Seems to become sluggish when file systems are 80%+ full and can only handle about 1 millions files within a file system. A work around we've used in place to put cash down for vxfs and vxvm. Don't get me started with LVM, great for small dg's and that's about it.

Performance, price are good. Support is okay, but I do see interests from a lot of ISV's, which is good.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Damnit, they just had to release a new version less than a month after our installfest :doh:

Oh well, next installfest will be at least 9.2 then :bigthumb: