Redhat Enterprise 5.0 (What's the diff??)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AbortionSurvivor, Jul 17, 2007.

1. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

What's the main differences between RH Enterprise Server vs Enterprise Client vs Enterprise Desktop? I know they all require licenses, but what about functionality? Or are the differences level of support?

I alway felt that Linux can do whatever you want it to (server or workstation). -You just have to install the packages you want...

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Linux is a pain in the ass to configure, compared to Windows. As such, probably the biggest selling points for the various versions is that they come pre-configured with the types of functionality you're likely to need in each application.

If you just want to use Linux, give Kubuntu a try instead. It's geared very heavily towards user-friendliness.

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

this is very true

find a distro that suits your needs...and stick with it

nothing more frustrating then having to re-learn paths :mamoru:

4. fucter

fucter crappy speller

enterprise is for businesses, it offers support and (some) hardware support that you probaly won't need
    (but for a business, it would be invaluable?<-right word?)

If you plan to be a sysadmin or something, you should try all the major linuxes (fedora, SLED etc...) for experience.
    if not
    I recommend kubuntu
    almost everything is up and running with an install of that os (except display resolution/nvidia drivers)

mandriva is nice, but just not as polished as kubuntu
    if you have a lot of free time i suggest installing slackware - but I warn you, it gives linux noobs major headaches

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Way to not answer his question in any way whatsoever, Batman!

6. deusexaethera

Dude was asking what the differences were between Enterprise Desktop and Enterprise Server and Enterprise Client. I responded that they contain the same shit, but preconfigured to provide different types of functionalities based on their respective intended uses. I think that answers the question nicely, Robin.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You didn't respond to his question in any way. You simply said Linux is a pain in the ass, try Ubuntu. Different versions have different features and configurations? BRILLIANT! He was asking what they were.

8. deusexaethera

Okay, fair enough. What are the exact differences, then?

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Fucked if I know. Why can't fucko look it up on redhat.com?

10. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Basically a couple more of extra graphical tools in Desktop that you can't already find on the net and install. But one of the biggest things is licensing. Desktop is a lower cost but only allows a certain number of processors and a certain amount of RAM, after that you have to move up to the Server level.

It lets companies that have small machines get the right support for RHEL while not paying 219389473783903 bajillion dollars for it. IF you are looking at doing something RHEL, look at Centos. Centos takes the exact same files from RHEL, compiles and gives them to you for free.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

CentOS is also terrible. My god, it was the worst Linux distro I've used in 5 years. You're gonna NEED support if you use Redhat.

12. Leb_CRX

wtf

how is CentOS terrible? I've been using it for nearly 2 years with 0 issues...http/ftp/samba/teamspeak/router

maybe it's not the distro :p

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

CentOS is terrible because the Perl it comes with is a piece of crap. It is terrible because the package management is ancient and atrocious. They don't maintain current packages. Manually downloading rpms ftl. Basically, CentOS/Redhat is about 5 years behind the other distros. Try one. You'll agree.

14. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

yum works perfectly fine and is very easy to use.

ask far as version of packages go, cent follows RH and they stay a couple versions behind so this is expected. 5 years? that's a little exaggerated.

if you're referring the gui utilities then i have no input with this since i don't touch them.

15. Leb_CRX

I use a couple right now, trustix, pclinux, and I've played with suse, ubuntu, fedora 7

I dont do perl, at all, so I can't comment

wait what? you don't have to manually download RPM's....I just use apt-get, yum, and they works flawlessly...I have version 4 or 4.5 on my server...and like I said 2 years 0 issues

either way, centOS5 is out now...

16. Leb_CRX

either way can't you just update the perl after install? using yum/apt-get? :dunno:

17. deusexaethera

This goes back to what I was saying about using Kubuntu instead. It doesn't have the multibillion-dollar support team standing behind it, but it does have a bunch of usability experts employed by a multibillion-dollar philanthropist standing behind it, and I've never just picked up a copy of Linux and used it without having to fuck with it until I tried Kubuntu.

It's got a server install mode too, if you need that.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

All the rpms I needed were quite old. Years. I am not exaggerating. They did not work. Whats more, most of them were not available from yum, period. It was a huge problem. All the packages that were installed by default did not include vital features I needed, so I had to recompile almost everything. It was an enormous hassle to get my app to run on CentOS, and it was extremely easy to get it to run on OS X, Solaris, an Ubuntu.

CentOS is years behind other distros.

19. Leb_CRX

I haven't run into that to be honest, then again I am not a 'power user'...I'd say I'm intermediate with linux, I just fuck around with it to have fun and to learn a thing or two, plus I need it for work

ahh the beauty of distros, everyone gets to pick and choose what works for them...when I rebuild the box i'll look into upgrading to kunbuntu...just for a change :o