Red Hat 9 | VMware tools (help!)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nerfball, Jul 11, 2003.

1. nerfball

nerfball New Member

Hey everyone, I'm a linux newbie and need some help. If anyone can lend a hand I would be grateful.
    I have an XP pro workstation running VMware 4 and I have installed RH9 and have it up and running. I have resolved a few issues already, mainly getting RH to grab a dhcp address and getting all my hardware to work, etc... Im having some problems getting the VMware tools to install though.

I need to install the tool set in text mode so I edited /etc/inittab: change id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault and I boot in to text mode.

Now I run the install package but VMware tools says it needs to build a vmhgfs module but needs a C compiler. It says its unable to find a 'gcc' program on my machine do I want to specify location by hand?

Can anyone help me here? Im not sure what to do next. Thanks in advance to any replies.

2. nerfball

nerfball New Member

no one huh? no linux guys in here? help a noob out...

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

rather than dealing with the headache, just re-install RedHat and make sure you install the Development package. That will include the compilers you need.

4. samm

samm Next in Line

should be located in

/usr/bin/gcc

If you don't have gcc and you don't want to install Red Hat again, you can download the gcc source and tell it to compile itself. Believe it or not, it works.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i always have had problems running linux in vmware. for some reason, i can do the exact install process on another box and wont get weird errors/stuff missing after install

6. nerfball

nerfball New Member

well, I did reinstall the whole damn thing. I didnt know what else to do and my anal retentive ass couldnt just sit by any longer...

it finally works though. rh9 is kind of slow though, I have Mandrake running also and it seems to be a lot faster than red hat. Im not sure if I need to tweak something.