GUN red dots....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Biodragon, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Biodragon

Biodragon $$ > me OT Supporter

Are all of them the same in the sense that after a certian distance they are not all that great and they work on any rifle? Or are other better for a further distance? Also, if I buy one for say an ar-15, and try to put it on my ar-10 will it matter?

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.9) VZW:SCH-i760 PPC 240x320)

you get what you pay for, generally

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Red-dot sights typically do not have any magnification (although Aimpoint & EO Tech off stand-alone magnifiers to work with their sights). With regard to distance/range your primary concern will be the dot size, usually presented in MOA ("minutes of angle" which works out to a hair over an inch at 100 yards). A 2 MOA dot will be smaller than a 6 MOA dot. The 6 MOA will theoretically be quicker to aqcuire at short distances, but will obscure more the of the target at longer distances. If you swap your optic across rifles/platforms, you will need to re-zero it for that platform.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And your cheap optics won't hold up to recoil. A $30 bsa red dot isn't going to be long for this world if you drop it on a .308 rifle.

5. Biodragon

What i figured, gonna need something that can withstand the recoil from the .308

6. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Why dont you give the iron sights a shot and go from there

7. Biodragon

I have given the iron shots a try... they are too fat for my liking... and honestly I would rather have them as back up more so than anything.

I was originally going to have a nice scope put on the rifle, but then I got my hands on an M14 and would rather have a nice scope put on that, I will be using both for target/hunting, the M14 more so for the hunting than the AR10.

So i fugured I will just get a nice red dot for the AR10 and be done with it. besides, i figure it will my between gun, I have the hunting rifle(M14), and a plinking rifle (Henry lever action 22) to play with.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

As far as red dot sights go yes you get what you pay for. There are different styles and dot sizes.

Tube sights such as the aimpoint

Reflex sights such as the eotech, cmore, jpoint, and doctor.

For a 308 I would go aimpoint, eotech or cmore.

MOA dot size is going to be a factor. Bigger dot is faster but less accurate. Pretty standard size is 2, 4, 6, or 8 moa. That means for example a 6 moa dot will cover a 6" target at 100 yards. The trick is to learn to shoot with the top or bottom of the dot at extended range. EX put the botom edge of the 6moa dot on the top edge of the target at 200 yards. Say at 200 you have 6" of drop this is also your bac to figure out hold over.

For a rifle I think you should get a good variable power scope. Such as the 1-4x trijicon accupoint. Dial the scope down to 1x for short range targets and it's as fast as a dot sight, ratchet it up to 4x and you can go out to 400 yards.

9. Biodragon

thats not a bad idea, the only problem with a scope is you have a harder time trying to get your eye 'right' for the scope, otherwise you can't see.

10. Werm

Werm Guest

There is an EoTech in yardsale for sale, price negotiable :hsughno:

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

This is why there is a price major price difference between a good and poor scope. The low magnification scopes (ex 1-4x) are real fast. You want a scope with a long eye relief too.

If you can find the dot on a aimpoint you can can find the triangle on the accupoint just as fast at 1x.

Now if your refering to tube sights vrs reflex sites it's a wash. Some people find they are faster with one over the other. This is more for pistols. For a rifle you got a cheek weld, and shoulder mount to help find the recticle. It's not floating out there like a two handed pistol hold.

12. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:o If I wouldn't have blown so much money already this month I'd buy it :o

13. Biodragon

alright, looks like I might have to go find some people with either or and see what they feel like to see which will fit me better, thanks for the info.

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

go find your local 3 gun match. There must be a few by you. Many people there will have accupoints on their rifles, as well as some of the other quality variables such as meopta's.

15. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

A lot depends on how much you are willing spend as well. A good 1x4 is going to cost you a decent amount of money, certainly more than a red dot by the time you get a mount. The versatility of a 1x4 is certainly a plus.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

you can find cmore railways used for $220 for stand switch, and $250 for click switch. Used you can get them for $150-$200.

Eotech 512 (model I like and used to have) is about $375 new.

Aimpoint comp m3 is $500 not including rings

Trijicon accupoint TR-21 while it retails for $600 can be had for $479 direct from trijicon if you join their shooters rewards program. They also give you a free hat, t-shirt, sticker, and patch.

I presently own accupoints, cmore's, jpoints, and doctors. I previously owned a eotech 512, and various aimpoints including the comp m3

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Oh millet has a decent 1x4 for $200. I say decent not great. It is no accupoint by far, but it is a illuminated recticle.

18. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

the eotech 512.A65 that I and every other mall ninja has features a 1 moa dot and a 65 moa circle.

the circle just so happens to be the approx. height of an average man at about 100 yards

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It is a awesome recticle for under 100 yards, but it is too busy for shooting out to 200. At least I was never any fast with it. I have since concluded that I need magnification to hit with any speed and accuracy at extended distances.

20. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

It's ok...puts the rounds where I point it. I miss the precision I had with an 8x but it's more flexible.
    [​IMG]

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah I'm recommending them as my choice of budget scope. Though I highly recommend if you have the means to get a accupoint or other high quality glass. It really makes the rifle.