GUN Red dot sight for shotgun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Jun 8, 2008.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I'm buying an M590A1 on Monday and want to put a red dot sight on it. I'm considering a Docter Optic but then saw the Burris model was $100 less. So two questions:

1. Do I need anything else to mount the optic to my shotgun?
    2. Docter vs. Burrs...is there a difference?

And this would be a HD shottie.

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

You're wasting your money, you don't have to aim a shotgun.

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The doctor has the brightest dot and a glass lens. I've heard good things about the burris but don't remember if it's a glass lens or not. Seen them at the shot show.

I don't know I'm not sure a dot of a home defense shotgun much less a pump shotgun would be that great. At home defense ranges you can do pretty well just sighting down the barrel. As long as you have a decent cheek weld your going to be fairly on target. You still need to call your shot, lead your target or whatever else is called for.

To mount a doctor you will need to have the receiver milled. That's a $200 gunsmith job. That or your going to need some specialized mount. Add in the cost of the sight and it's like what are you doing. Dot sights are amazing for those 75 yard slug shots, or hitting multiple mid range targets at speed. Home defense not so great. Plus you have to pop the cover off (basicly that's your on/off switch) have to worry about batteries, etc.

I would take all that money and put it into a weaponlight and a decent side saddle. My philosophy is to get as many shells as you can onto the gun because your not going to have time to grab extra ammo to stick in your pockets (if you even have pockets). So for me it's a side saddle, and stock sock. So I got 20 shells in or on the gun.

4. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

The Burris is glass just like the Docter. Can I JB Weld it to the Mossy? I kid, I kid...

Surefire forend is about $250...good deal?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

For a pump shotgun there is really only one good option and that is the surefire dedicated weaponlight intergrated into the pump. With a semi you can go with a ring mount with a standard weaponlight.

I don't like cords and tape switches.