Red Cliff (Chi Bi)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Boing, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Boing

Boing OT Supporter

I ordered this out of Hong Kong a few weeks ago and just got around to watching it, finally. And it was definitely worth the wait.

The movies is based on the Battle of Red Cliffs and events during the end of the Han Dynasty and immediately prior to the period of the Three Kingdoms in ancient China. This movie is part 1. It premiered last summer in China. Part 2 was shown there in January. Part 2 is available for pre-order now, and looks to be shipping sometime this month.

I've read Romance of the Three Kingdoms (also worth buying) a couple of times, so I was interested in how this small portion of the novel played out. The movie is actually based on the Chronicles of the Three Kingdoms, however. If you've ever played any of the Dynasty Warrior games, you'll recognize most of these characters and some of the levels in the game have made it as scenes in the movie.

Blu-ray review:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=1935&show=review

Cheapest place I've found for the blu-ray disc (and where I ordered from):

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=8860

They should have Part 2 on their site, soon. YesAsia has Part 2 up for pre-order already.

If/when it gets released in the US, it will be a trimmed down version of both movies combined.

2. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Looks interesting. Might buy it.

3. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

its alright, honestly I've been disappointed with recent Chinese historical epics, because they're not very historical or epic, lots of flash not much content, and the language ain't what it used to be, especially when they have people speaking with taiwanese or cantonese accents in it (nothing against them, works great for triad flicks) but doesnt seem to fit in ancient china,