Red 94 Supra

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Morgan06, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

No engine/interior pics, sry. Car was a PITA to drive even 15 ft in/out of the garage- boostlogic 63mm, meth injection, HKS cams, etc. Don't know the brand but the clutch had almost zero window for engagement; either go or stop- that's it.

Very difficult to get 100% correction out of this, the pics may show that in most cases, but honestly it wasn't perfect. Around 7 hours total, 1 spent washing with ONR and claying with Meguiars Mild and masking with 3M green, another hour spent cleaning out old wax and compound from gaps/jambs/emblems. Previous detailer burned through the front edge of the drivers door which made me hesitant towards going with M105 and yellow foam too often, so the majority of the car got two passes with M85 on green foam. Finished with M205 on blue finishing foam.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Masking and doing a few tests to find the right combo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a few side by sides
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at that burn, still has tape residue around it- I took no chances making it any worse.
    [​IMG]

All done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Money shot, Before & After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Looks significantly better. Not only are the swirls greatly reduced or removed but the paint has a ton more depth. :)

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Depth! I was trying to find the right word yesterday when talking to the customer, that's the perfect way to describe it. I'm using that later tonight when I do my one Autopia writeup for the year.

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:rofl:

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

A mod gave me shit because I watermark my pictures. I'm not doing an entire different set from what I use on my website just so I can join the circle jerk.

[​IMG]

BAN FOR ADVERTISING! :rofl:

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

Replace the pics with goatse or tubgirl.... "ADVERTISE THAT, AUTOPIA!"

:mamoru:

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

No watermarks, no visible advertising in the pictures, always been the rule there.

8. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

yea but they kindly asked excellerator to remove the links in his pics so I think it's a big game of who likes who nonsens. Great detail morgan.

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Thanks!

There is quite a lot of favoritism there, and a double standard considering I can put the name of my company in the thread title/user name/avatar/signature. All of which benefit me much more in terms of recognition and SEO than a watermark for which the only purpose is to prevent someone else using my pictures.

There is a member of Autopia with a thread 'ABC Company - Name - XXX Car' and the very first post is his logo 800px wide, next to his avatar and just above his elevator speech. But that's okay as long as there are no watermarks I guess. Click here :rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

Wow..... I don't even know what to say about that thread. So I'll just leave it at this:

:cjerk:

11. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

It is what it is. As much as I appreciate other forums and their more open dialogue, Autopia is still the biggest and most trafficked.

I try to answer questions that don't get answered every few days anyway, keep my write ups to a workable amount of pics without going overboard, amongst other things- only to stay visible and relevant.

What do people on other forums say when someone asks for a detailer? "Go to Autopia..."

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

Sad but true. Mainly though that's because Autopia has historically been the only site with a "detailer directory" -- but that's changing. Been to Detail City lately? They just implemented one; you might want to get in on that if you haven't. It's still small, but growing.

13. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

:rofl:

Moderator over there removed my pics with the van :rolleyes:

14. BlazinBlazer Guy

You didn't suck the right guy's dick to be able to get away with that shit apparently.

15. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Love the gloss on the body curves. It really catches the eye. Excellent work there! :cool:

16. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Guess not. I'm really concerned that now the less than 5% of my business that comes from Autopia, combined with the odd chance that someone from within 30 miles of me sees my post and actually has the funds/desire to warrant calling me, but now can't find my 1/8" tall phone number in picture form.

Thanks! Like I said it's not 100% perfect- but for less than a full day and not charging $500 I'm happy with it and so is the customer. Sent me the below referral on Saturday, and a bagged Blazer Xtreme coming up.

Compare brand new Dodge paint to 16 yr old Toyota paint. Definitely less swirls and easier to work on, but that peel is :eek4:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my buffer cord got worn, I have this problem usually 2x for every time I need to replace trigger or brushes. Usual culprit is it not working without twisting/squeezing or jiggling the power cord. My close up shots are terrible though:

[​IMG]

The problem, see the ripples?
    [​IMG]

On the operating table, see the insulation fraying?
    [​IMG]

Can't even strip the casing. The wires were so weak, ripped about 1.5" short of their original length.
    [​IMG]

Old and new, three screws and a ring crimp= done.
    [​IMG]