SRS Recurring "Bad" Dreams?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by erok81, Feb 10, 2005.

1. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

Ok first off, I hope this is in the correct section, if not I appologize.

Where to start.

A few years ago I had a dream where I was in this strange house, it seemed haunted. There were a few rooms I would go into and become completely freaked out and wake up immediatly. One of the was the bathroom. I would go to take a shower in my dream and could always feel someone was in there (like it was real and not a dream) but could never see them. In the dream I would always leave right after that never showering. Also some weird room on the second floor that has two beds and a bunch of suitcases on the floor. The light never works in this room so I am not sure what else is in there. I had a similar dream a few times over the next couple years.

Fast forward to now. I seem to have this "house dream" almost every night. It get increasingly worse and worse in terms of freaking me out. I am to the point now that I am afraid to even go to sleep these dreams are so horrible. They always include this house. I have never seen it before, so who knows where I got the idea from. I think one of the worst parts about this is they don't feel like dreams. More like it is real life, if that makes sense.

Although this only happens at night. If I sleep in the day, I never have these dreams. So I usually get off of work or school and come home and sleep until midnight or so then try to stay up all night with no sleep. As you can imagine this makes me tired as hell all day.

I have tried sleeping with lights on to simulate day :)rofl: ) that makes no difference. I have tried sleeping pills but not only do they make it really hard to get out of bed, Once stuff starts going bad in the dreams I can't wake up and that just makes it worse.

And finally, this part creeps me out the worst. The last two nights I will wake up and actually see things in my room. I know this is common but I can blink and stare at whatever it happens to be and it won't go away. Last night I woke up from the "house dream" and had a weird feeling in my hand. I looked down at it and it was completely disfigured/mangled. After staring at it like that for maybe 15 seconds it slowly transformed back to my normal hand. It was almost like an animation watching it. That happened twice more that night. Once right before falling alseep I could feel it starting to revert to the disfigured state.

Am I just a big wimp that is scared of the dark, or does this have some unknown meaning? I haven't had a good nights sleep in over three years because of stuff like this. Anyway, sorry about the length and I hope this all makes sense.:dunno:

Cliffs:

I have some weird dream about a "scary" house. Keeps becoming more frequent. Can no longer sleep due to these dreams.

2. BlondieAMC

BlondieAMC New Member

I don't know much about dreams, but if they are freaking you out, then i would say go to see a therapist of some sort....tell them exactly what you said here and see what they have to say in return. Maybe that will put your mind at ease.

Sorry i'm not much help, but good luck. Hope the bad dream goes away. :(

3. RyeBread

RyeBread If you tell the truth you don't have to remember a

I don't have much experience with bad dreams that I can't explain. I do however have a LOT of experience with reliving horrible past experiences that are nightmarish.

There's a reason that I usually only sleep 3-5 hours per night. :hs: A reason that I'm not quite comfortable sharing yet, even after months of therapy.

I'll just say that an event this past summer allowed a long suppressed couple of years of my past to resurface in a bad way.

No matter when I crawl to bed, I find myself usually jolted awake in a cold sweat between 4 and 5 am. For a long time it was at precisely 4:15 am, every morning. Either the therapy, or some of the supplements I'm taking are starting to work - else pure physical exhaustion is settling in :hs: (I've been doing 2-a-day workouts fairly frequently too)

Now, back to re-reading your post. Does it matter where you are sleeping at night?

for example, does this happen only in your regular bedroom?

how about sleeping on the couch one night? hotel? friend's house?

jail cell? :p ;)

4. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

I have had simular experiences with dreams. But, it was because of past events. They kept replaying in my dreams. I could not sleep for years because of it. I know, from what you have said you do not know the house, or anything about the dream, just that it is scaring you. I seeked professional help and what I was told is something you might not be willing to do. Let the dream play through, no matter how scared you are. It is just a dream. I was also told if something is attacking you or something chasing you, you can picture yourself running faster, picking up a weapon to protected yourself. When I was in therapy for my dreams, my therapist told me that dreams are a figment of your imagination, sometimes it just goes wild. And sense you are imagining things in your dreams, I was told you can imagine things to protect yourself. You said something about a light not being in a room, picture yourself with a candle or finding a light switch. I do not know if that will help you, I hope it does so you can get some z's, but I can say that what I was also told is dreams are away for bad feelings to hide, what you dream is a way of expressing what is going on in your life. I do not know how your dream would apply to that, but all I can say is good luck.

5. teo

teo . => ? => !

Dreams are funny stuff. I find that most dreams with some sort of stress in them relate to a stress in real life somehow. For instance, not being able to turn on the light in a room might represent an unknown that I'm afraid to face in real life. I'm trying to practice lucid dreaming so that I can direct my dreams and unhook myself from nightmares... I still get them on average once a week, but I know why they occur. I take effort to minimize my stress levels and the nightmares go away.

The scariest nightmare for me isn't a nightmare at all - it's a complete absence of dreams. At least with dreams you can work with them, better yourself, etc... with no dreams, you have no idea what's going on in there.

6. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

That is pretty funny. I always wake up at 3am no matter what. This happened living at my moms and now my apt. So I don't think where I sleep has any effect.

There has been a couple times where I wake up and am totally awake but my body is still asleep, I can't remember the technical term for it. That is the weirdest thing ever. Laying there trying to get your body to move but it won't. I know that is totally unrelated to the dreams, but I forgot to mention that last night when making the first post.