MIL Recruiting and prior drug use...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by R KriLLz, Feb 21, 2006.

1. R KriLLz

R KriLLz Uncomfortable in my own skin.

towards the end of the summer I plan on joining the marines...

I used to smoke marijuana daily up until about a couple of months ago. plus i've experimented with coke and shrooms before. (didn't like either.) I quit smoking and did not look back. I never plan on doing drugs again.
    Joining the marines will be the final step of turning my life into something I can be proud of... but I'm afraid my history will hinder me.

When I go to the recruiter, I was planning on saying I tried marijuana and stopped doing it after a few times.
    Frankly, I'm too ashamed of my prior drug use. Not even considering that admitting so will probably disqualify me.

Will this fly? how about for a security clearance? what do ya'll think?

2. R KriLLz

I imagine getting past the recruiter would be easy... I'm worried mainly about the security clearance.

they only test urine... right?

3. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

Don't tell the recruiter about any drug use at all. It can only hurt you. Say that you've never done a drug in your life.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

No. When you join and go to MEPS they'll do blood and urine tests, but that has absoutely nothing to do with getting a security clearance. The investigator conducting your single scope background investigation for a top secret clearance will create a very large web where even the smallest lie will be exposed, you won't be able to beat the system.

If you admit you smoked marijuana everyday for a long time, you won't be able to join, however if you just say you did it a few times to experiment or something then you probably won't have any problems joining.

You'll most likely never be able to get a top secret clearance anytime during your first two enlistments though. If you ever try and go into a billet (MSG duty, etc.) or lat move into a MOS which requires a TS clearance (intel, etc.) they WILL find out you were a daily user and not just a "recreational user for a short period of time" like you originally claimed when you joined.

These are the questions you must answer on the SF-86 (the form you have to submit when applying for a security clearance), and if you lie about anything on the SF-86 you will be exposed and you'll be in violation of the UCMJ:

So the gist of all this is basically you're NOT screwed out of a clearance for life because they only ask you to go back as far as 7 years, so as long as you've been perfectly clean for 7 years you'll be able to truthfully answer the questions and not have to admit to any drug use and you won't have any problems at all.

5. x deaD piXeL

x deaD piXeL Turn up the fucking music!

Tell your recruiter. He will give you tips on how to enlist. I was 100% honest w/ my recruiter and he told me what I should not tell at MEPS and what would be good to tell at MEPS. I told him I smoked a week before I went to meps, and he said drink alot of water.

6. Massive_gas

Massive_gas New Member

I have that form sitting on my PC right now waiting to be filled out. I need the addresses of 6 people i know other than my family; 3 people who know me well, 1 from school now, 1 from high school, and 1 from where i live. Shit, that's difficult for me since i know so few people :wtc:

7. jung918

jung918 Member

Just keep your mouth shut. THe end!

8. c.a

c.a New Member

as long as you were never prosecuted, just say no. it's not like they'll put you through a lie detector.

9. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

You're retarded.

10. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

they don't test for drugs in your blood during MEPs, I think that's only to test to see if you're HIV positive or have any kind of disease or something

11. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

Yup.

12. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

it is not at all difficult to get a TS clearance, you just have to need one. Secret clearances are a dime a dozen.

13. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

all there is to it

14. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

I cant get a TS for like 2 more years

15. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

I was arrested, I had to get a waiver to join. The AD recruiter told me that it would DQ me from a TS clearance for 3 years.

16. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

If you don't lie, you never have to remember what you told them.

Having said that, though... Remember what you say to the drug use questions, and repeat it every time you are asked, for the rest of your life. During MEPS you will be asked multiple times at multiple stations the same question. If your answers are different, you will have an uncomfortable discussion with someone before the day is over.

17. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

plus make sure the people who you give as references aren't your buddies from back home. I was an eagle scout so I put down some prominent people who I've met and known for a while.

18. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

This is the truth.

19. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

I remember laughing when the recruiter asked me exactly how many times I had smoked. As if I kept a logbook or something. How is anyone who has done it for a while supposed to know? It was over a period of three years for me, and I think I went to MEPS with the number of 50 times. And so after a quick drug waiver, everything was a ok.

20. R KriLLz

that sucks man... the only people that have known me for the past 7 years are close friends. they're all really respectable guys though.
    is it THAT big of a deal??

21. R KriLLz

I'm thinking this is the best route. Could I take that all the way to TS you think? (i'm planning on going into intelligence)

I think I could... I got a 98 on the asvab and I don't set off any red flags. I could come off as a huge nerd if I wanted to.

hmmm.