MIL Recruiter Trouble

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SuperMaWiiOH, Feb 10, 2008.

1. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

Backstory: I'm prior service and am trying to join the Army Reserves. I was in the Air Force and got discharged with RE Code 2C. To get into the Army I need a letter from a psychologist stating that I have no problems.

Current issue: I started talking to an Army recruiter a few months back. I originally told him I wanted to go back to Active Duty. After some research and thought I figured I should go into the Army Reserves and get an education and join Army ROTC. No paperwork has been completed whatsoever, I was simply waiting for my Dr. appointment so I could get this letter. Anyways, my recruiter and me kept in touch via email weekly. I would give him simple updates and ask some questions. I explained to him that instead of going Active Duty I wanted to go into the Reserves so I could go to college and be in ROTC. He gave me a USAR Jobs Vacancy Report which showed bonus figures for different MOS's, which jobs have ECS and how long the ECS lasted, and other bits of information. I also talked to a LTC from an ROTC program about my situation as well and my intentions with the Reserves and college.

Finally my appointment came, several days passed and I got my letter. I gave it to my recruiter but a few things needed to be changed on the letter. Currently the recruiter is trying to get a hold of the Dr. to tweak the letter, but something is bothering me. My recruiter said the letter states info about the Reserves and ROTC, but that he thought I wanted Active Duty. I told him how we have talked on several occasions about the Reserves and ROTC and how he even sent me the USAR report. He knows well that I don't want Active Duty. Well anyways he now told me he wants the Dr. to change the letter to state that I want to return to Active Duty service, and take out all the stuff about the Reserves and ROTC. Why would he want him to change that part of the letter if I don't want Active Duty? He said it didn't matter because my paperwork would be for the Reserves, but if it don't matter then why change the letter? I'm sorta scared that he will change this letter and then give me paperwork for Active Duty in which I will back out immediately and contact a Army Guard recruiter to work with. Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. fixmefixmyhead

fixmefixmyhead Well-Known Member

1-800-GO-GUARD the reserves recruiters i talked to were generally shadier than the guard recruiters i worked with.

3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Aren't there different recruiters for the Reserves and Active Duty? If so then you need to switch.

4. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

In what way? I'd love to hear some examples.

5. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

Can't answer for everywhere but in my city AD/Reserves have same recruiters and the Guard is separate.

6. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

so you have pysch issues and wonder why the recruiters are giving you the run around, especially when you are talking about becoming an officer.

7. EYOB

EYOB Guest

8. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I got discharged with involuntary separation with honorable discharge, but the reason being for a personality disorder. I don't have one, they just wouldn't give me hardship because they are a bunch of assholes. Everyone knows there is nothing wrong with me, just because I have that on my DD Form 214 doesn't mean shit. Anyways the Dr. evaluated me and everything is good to go. Even if I did have some previous issues what would that have to do with me wanting to go to college and ROTC? The only reason I'm doing this is simply because having a bachelors degree doesn't mean you will get a job. This way by doing ROTC if I don't see a job in sight then I can go AD, and if I do see a job in sight which will pay much better, I can by in the Reserves/Guard as an officer.

9. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

EYOB...why even respond with that? You want your post count up that bad huh?

10. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Hardship in the USAF?

11. EYOB

EYOB Guest

You read my mind. Will you marry me ??

12. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Holy Shit...search this guy's posts. He's a nutjob! MP, Band, Public Affairs...and now Officer? This guy is all over the map...

13. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

What if he is just trying to find the easiest way to get back into the military? Considering the AF kicked him out (how did you manage this?) he might want to go back in not making the same mistakes he made the first time. OR he is really a nut.

14. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

Yes I want to hear things from different people. I made the mistake of picking Security Forces in the AF. I made the mistake of going AD instead of Reserves/Guard and then getting an education and being in ROTC. So what? I've made several posts asking about different MOS's. Ever been to the GO ARMY forums? TONS OF QUESTIONS ABOUT JOBS.

15. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

But how were you thinking you were gonna get hardship from picking SF? I still don't get it. You could have applied for Palace Chase and gotten into the guard...but thats in the past I suppose.

16. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

Not for getting SF, I had lot of family things going on. SF can't Palace Chase. I've heard it's virtually impossible.

17. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

My Dr. called me today and told me what the recruiter was trying to do. He told me he would not change the letter just because the recruiter wanted it changed because I don't wanna go AD I wanna go Reserves. Anyways I told the Dr. I'm gonna contact a Guard recruiter.

After I got off the phone with the Dr. I called the Guard recruiter and talked with him and explained the shady situation. He told me he would not comment on his opinions of what the Reserves recruiter was trying to do, but that it's my choice to end ties with him and talk to the Guard. I gave him my information and he told me to tell the Dr. to rewrite the letter about for the Guard and for me to bring a DD Form 214 to him and we can get the process moving if that's what I want.