MIL Recruiter Ques: Court Probation v. Official Probation?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Wolf, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I realize it's not possible to enlist in the Army while on 'probation', but does this only apply to 'official probation', ie: supervised probation, where you're required to check in with a probation officer at regular intervals?

Or is court probation (basically, 'don't get arrested for anything else'), where there's no need to check in, do anything, other than not break any more laws, also considered to be 'probation', by this definition?

My case is that I got a DUI last year, and as part of the sentencing, they gave me 4 years court probation (not 'official probation').

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

3. SSG Schwartz

SSG Schwartz New Member

I am an Active Duty Army Recruiter. What I can tell you is that if you have probation for a DUI, unsupervised or not, you are disqualified from service in the Army. PM me, and I can find out some of the details and questions you may ask your PO and Recruiter.

SSG Schwartz

4. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

Sorry I took so long to get to this, been busy with homework lately.

This is one of those things that I'm fairly certain is the same across all branches of service. Probation is probation, it doesn't matter how it's performed, it still counts. In order to enlist, you must not be on any probation at all, and all your associated fines, fees, court costs, etc. must be paid in full. Until then, you are ineligible to enlist.

There are some circumstances where you can be released from probation early; this usually happens because the applicant has talked to a judge or PO that is supportive of military service. The catch to an early release is that the order for early release cannot say ANYTHING about joining the military. If it does, you now have to wait until 45 days AFTER your probation would have normally ended.

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I'd talk to your PO and see if he can get a judge to let you off probation on terms you join the military. A lot of judges are up for something like that, especially if you're thinking about Army or Marines. We had a guy that was going to serve like a 9 month jail sentence but we were about to go on deployment and he was the only one onboard with his skillset, so the judge allowed him to be put on "ship arrest" and he wasn't allowed to leave the boat the whole deployment.. probably worse than jail though lol.

6. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

That's just the thing, I don't have a probation officer. It's not supervised probation, so I don't check in with anyone. I just get a 'probation violation' if I get arrested/charged with anything during the probation period. :dunno:

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

You're asking about legal issues. You should call a lawyer.