Recovery gear...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by sprite, Jul 18, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

Got my first 4WD, and want to have some basic recovery gear. I won't be doing any wheeling with it, more likely just an occasional tug out of a snow bank type of thing...

Would a 30ft recovery strap, a bridle, and a few rated bow shackles have it covered? How about those reciever hitch shackle mounts? I've read articles saying you shouldn't use a hitch as a recovery point, but it seems to me a class V hitch would be able to take it, or should I stick to the recovery hooks in the front?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

A hitch is a GREAT recovery point. However, a tow-ball is a BAD point. Remove your tow-ball and insert a loop of the recovery strap into the hitch, and put the hitch pin through the hitch/loop and insert the cotter pin. My hitch is rated over 9000lbs for linear pull. I've seen them up to 15,000lbs.

I've broken a chevy recovery hook, before. Never broken my hitch.

Remember, a recovery strap is only useful if you have a second vehicle to pull you out.

Don't use shackles or any other metal parts. Always use sewn nylon loops. MUCH safer. If something breaks (metal or nylon) then anything metal becomes a VERY dangerous projectile.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Thanks. That make sense about the hitch, I hadn't thought of just using the hitch pin through the strap loop. :uh:

4. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

If your just doing the occasional pull in the snow, a good strap and means to affix it to the vehicles is really all you'll need.