Recovering from illness... go to the gym or not?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by illmatix, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

Last Friday I got sick with the flu. I had a 102 fever until Monday morning, could barely eat anything, body aches, runny nose,coughing my guts up, etc, etc. Today, I finally feel like I might be good enough to go back to the gym. I'm still coughing, slightly sore throat, a little drowsy/weak, but not miserable like I was the last few days.

The last time I went to the gym was Thursday. Can I go to the gym today? Or do you think I'm asking for trouble?

This is the first time I've gotten really sick in a long time, just looking for advice.

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Personally I'd just eat a shit ton of food and get enough sleep for a few more days.

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

If you're not feeling 100% but your apetite is back I would take another or two off and just eat a lot of food and drink a lot of fluids. No point in pushing yourself if you're not ready.
    Eat well today and tomorrow, get a lot of sleep tonight (10 hours or so) and maybe tomorrow night get back into it.

4. Trickypants

Trickypants OT Supporter

I've gone back to the gym too early and I think it's lengthened how long I've felt crappy for. Doctor friend of mine told me the exertion can slow down the immune system, keeping the bug around longer.

Now I usually give it an extra day after I'm at the stage you're at then go back. :dunno:

5. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

:wtc: Being sick blows.

I probably will take another day just to be sure. Thanks for being my voice of reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.