Recovering from a dumb mistake

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by newsroom_can, Jun 19, 2005.

1. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

I use Mail for my e-mail. It was not working properly (could not receive e-mails) and I went into preference to check my account settings. (I have two)

By mistake, I deleted one of my account and now all of my e-mails are gone! Anyone know how to recover old messages that got deleted? It should be on my hard drive somewhere because I downloaded them... :wtc:

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

ouch, that sucks. I'd like to know as well.

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

search for a file called "mbox"... if you can't find a directory structure that matches your account name, you're screwed :hs:

I once did that to three years' worth of e-mail because I was trying to set up different "roles" for my mailboxes... hope you have better luck than I did

4. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

I did find a file called mbox... but I did not have any luck. I only had about 30 e-mails that I received recently. (That was on my pop mail server and did not get deleted.)

:wtc:

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

you sure the messages aren't still on your server?

dumb question, but did you try re-entering the settings that you accidentally deleted yet?

6. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

another reason IMAP > POP...but the way Mail does IMAP sucks. Better off using Thunderbird.

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

btw, this is exactly the reason I got off my ass and started using Backup.app. If you have a .mac account it's free, and lets you automate backups of mail, preferences, safari bookmarks, your keychain, and/or any folders you wish. I do a backup to my iPod and take it home with me every time I'm back from college; do a restore to my account on the home machine, and it's as if my desktop never left me :coold: