Recovering Files From CRASHED Laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Viperjts10, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Viperjts10

Viperjts10 New Member

So, yesterday, I had too many programs open or something, and the screen froze and I had to manually power the computer down. I boot the laptop up and after 5 min. of loading, I get to a blue error screen everytime.

I call up Dell and find out that the hard drive had crashed, and so I need to know what the best option is to recover my files.

I called up the Fry's Electronic store, and they said it would be about $150 to "try" and recover the files.

Would going to fry's be an okay option, or would it be best to go to a more professional Data Recovery Service? It would cost hundreds more probably at a professional service, but if I can do it at Fry's, then I would just want to do it there.

If I tried Fry's electronic store to try and recover the files, and IF it fails, would I still be able to find a professional recovery service and they could possibly recover the files???

If I can't get the files after trying at Fry's Electronics, then I was going to look about going here.... --> http://www.cbltech.com/

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Are you sure its the hdd thats bad? Did you try installing it in another pc as secondary and seeing if your data is still there? I'd do that first... since blue screens can be caused by alot of different reasons. How did the Dell tech come to the conclusion the drive was bad?

3. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

if you have another machine, get a copy of Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS. it's saved us a couple of drives here at our store. http://www.stellarinfo.com/

If the drive in your laptop is SATA, you can just hook it right up, otherwise you'll need a 2.5" to IDE adapter.

4. Viperjts10

Viperjts10 New Member

The hard drive is actually a laptop hard drive and I don't have any other laptops to test out the hard drive.

When I did a diagnostics test anyways, certain error codes came up and they concluded that the hard drive had crashed.

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

You can get adapters for laptop hard drives so you can connect them to another computer via USB. I'd try that first.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you care about your data, do NOT go to frys :mamoru:

since you had to ask this question, you are NOT capable of doing this reliably. How important is the data? If worth saving, www.drivesavers.com

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Sounds like the Windows installation got corrupt. The hard drive and data is probably fine.

If you have a Windows CD, you can try a repair.

But... Like said above you can easily plug the drive into another machine and most likely get the data off without any issues.

8. evil_lbt

evil_lbt New Member

If you have two computers. e.g. one desktop & laptop

pull out the drive out of your laptop > go to fry's and buy an external laptop hard drive enclosure > hook it up to your desktop > get your files off > format > ??? = profit

if you don't have a desktop pc, borrow your friend's computer or something

i would never pay those dumb fucks at fry's electronics $150 to recover the files, that's a fucking ripoff