Recovering deleted HIDDEN files?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Jul 25, 2006.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

so i deleted some files that were marked as HIDDEN some time ago, now I'm trying to recover it. i've actually tried to do this some time ago on a different comp, and both times they don't work. the files could not be found. i wonder if hidden files are un-recoverable?

thanks!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they go to the recycle bin just like any other file... Just enable showing of hidden files.

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok hmm so any idea why the music that i deleted arent showing up? ive tried a few different recovery softwares, and theyve found pretty much the same things. they can find stuff that ive deleted BEFORE i deleted the music. the only thing i can think of is the music were hidden files.
    ideas?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, not a hidden file problem.

5. Clarity

Clarity New Member

/agree

6. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

The bolded stuff is most likely your problem. Chances are you've written over the area on your HDD where they were stored, in which case you are fucked.

Hidden files shouldn't be a problem for any recovery software that doesn't suck ass.

More than likely they are gone.

7. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

hmmm well the thing is i deleted the files one year ago when i was about to leave the country for ONE YEAR. so no one's really been using the comp other than for browsing and email checking. no huge files have been downloaded i dont think that can write over about 20 GB of space. and then again i said that some OLDER files were found, so i :dunno:

thanks for the replies, really appreciate it! any more ideas? any particular software u guys recommend?

8. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

OK, generally the way the common data recovery software works nowadays is that the file must all be there. If it was used for browsing, all that was required to lose your big files is that a tiny cookie was written over a bit of your data. Not the whole 20GB, just a tiny bit is enough for it to be often unrecoverable.

Secondly, files aren't always put in order, nor is data always written into the same spot. Thus files aren't getting written and deleted based purely on when they were first created/deleted. Old files hanging around could just be the luck of the draw.

So as I said you may be out of luck :( However, the best software I've used is GetDataBack For NTFS and it has worked for me a fair bit.

9. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i see! thanks for the explanation. i will try that software. thanks a lot!!