recovering data from a harddrive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by n1nj3w, Aug 22, 2009.

1. n1nj3w

n1nj3w New Member

I have never had the need to recover data from a harddrive before, but my dad's harddrive just failed and it had all of the music he uses to DJ car shows. It took him forever to put all of his CDs onto the drive and he is thinking about getting a company to try and recover the data now but it is fairly expensive. I was curious what if anything I could do to try and recover the data. Its an external usb drive. It powers on but is not picked up as a device on any computer we have tried. He says it wasn't dropped or bumped.

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Did you try it on another computer? Does it click or make any noise at all?

Take it out of the enclosure and connect it straight to the pc (SATA or IDE) mobo.

If that doesn't work you can try the freezer trick. Google freezer trick.

3. n1nj3w

n1nj3w New Member

I've tried it on two computers. Both times it did power on, the disk spun up, but neither computer recognized it. Do most external harddrives have either a SATA or a IDE connection internally?

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Best way to tell if the drive is dead is look in the bios of the computer. If it doesn't see it then the board on the drive is probably bad. Actual moving parts are probably fine. If it does see it, bring up the disk management.

Start, run compmgmt.msc hit enter, look at disk management, look at the drive see if it has a partition or even shows up. See the drive but no partition, data is still there but the partition record is gone.

Go from there.. process of elimination

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

if you hear it spin up, try a different enclosure or hook the drive up internally

6. n1nj3w

n1nj3w New Member

Opened it up and it was clear that it was the enclosure and not the drive itself. Apparently my dad left the cords plugged in it when he moved it around :nono: New enclosure did the trick. :)