Recovering a stolen MBP...hints?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Furner, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

My fiance's brother got his MBP stolen over the weekend. Will Apple "blacklist" his mac or anything? Any other hints to try and get it back?
    I am monitoring iChat to see if they will auto-login so I can trick them into a video chat.

2. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

im pretty sure you can call it into apple that its stolen, but all they can really do is add that serial number to database of stolen stuff, :dunno:

3. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

Lojack.... Yeah... He might be able to call Apple, but he would have had much better luck if he had Lojack. I highly recommend it.

4. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I really need to get around to it, but one of these days I'm going to set my MBP up so that if it gets jacked, it'll lock out all of my account information, but drop into an account I've set up to do a few things.

First, the account would be configured for maximum connectivity, to make sure the laptop could get online as often as possible. So airport would be set to auto connect to base stations, etc. I'd probably also enable most sharing services for that account so that I could maximize the possibility of connecting to the laptop if it's online in a non-firewalled location.

Second, I'd setup auto-login on a bunch of free internet services that people are likely to use, like audioscrobbler, etc. -- services where a user can change their info from the computer's client program, but I still own the account "keys", so I can see if they've put any personal information into these accounts.

Third, I'd write a cron job or automator task to take pictures with the iSight periodically and e-mail them back to me, for obvious reasons. I'd also capture the IP address and maybe some other network statistics that would be helpful in tracking down the laptop. Getting the IP can be as simple as running a dynamic DNS daemon in the background of that account and then checking your dDNS provider for updates.

Finally (and probably by far the most difficult), if I could manage to get the computer to do it, I would have it attempt to automatically connect to the VPN at my home whenever it gets online. If it can do this successfully, then I have a direct path to the laptop, even if it's firewalled. This means I can ssh in and do anything else I might need to do to determine who has my machine (including full grabs of browser history, etc.) Not to mention live screen viewing over VNC and real-time iSight captures.

Yeah I should really get around to all of this someday :embd:

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

any updates on the stolen mac? :dunno:

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I am afraid Apple will not do a thing.

7. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

How much is Lojack? One time fee? Or a subscription service? Sounds like a good idea...

8. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

$49 for 1 year, $99 for 3 years

9. Blair

Blair New Member

10. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

you do realize its a simple hdd wipe and you ll never find it right?

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That's why the PC version of Lojack is better. It's built into many laptop firmwares/BIOS' so even if someone wipes the drive it reinstalls it and calls home. To make it the most worth-wild on the Mac you need to have your laptop set to automatically connect to open wireless which but you give up security to do that.

12. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

Open Firmware / EFI password FTW. 99% of people even with physical access to the computer won't know how to defeat it.

13. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

You've already lost all hope of security once an attacker has physical access to the machine, if they're determined enough. The best you is minimize risk in the event of theft. Anything sufficiently important should already be protected cryptographically. Personally I would take the security-accessibility tradeoff of a laptop that tries to maximize connectivity. Remember that you can compartmentalize a lot of that behavior through segregated accounts, one of which is set to act as a dead man's switch in the event that the computer is stolen. In most cases this can be made to be the only account that is accessible without a password.

I definitely wish that something similar to PC Lojack was available / feasible on Macs, though...

14. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

If I ever stole a mac, the first thing I'd do is wipe it. But then most criminals are dumb.

15. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Here's a new free option. Sounds promising and I like the fact that you don't need to use a central server and your info isn't available to anyone but you.

http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/

16. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I wouldn't say 99% because it's extremely easy to wipe the firmware password. But you are right, most people don't have any idea what they would need to do.

17. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

oh well, sorry for your loss tho.