Recover INETPUB folder from hard-drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ITGuy, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ITGuy

ITGuy New Member

Long story short, I lost some hardware in my server, but the drive is still good. I want to get to my INETPUB folder to get my websites off before I go and set everything up in a new box.

I first tried putting the drive in another PC as a slave, but was able to get to everything EXCEPT that folder. I then put it in a new PC and can't even get it to boot. I get a blue screen saying hardware has changed and to reboot. Rebooting gives me the same error.

Any other ideas to get the data from that folder off before I wipe it clean? I have most of the data backed up, just want to get some of the less important stuff off if possible.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Disable Simple File Sharing in My Computer => Folder Options.
    2. Right-click on the \Inetpub folder and view its properties.
    3. Switch to the Security tab and click on the Advanced button.
    4. Set "Administrators" as the owner for the \Inetpub folder AND everything inside of it.
    5. Click OK and stand back.

3. ITGuy

ITGuy New Member

Thanks, but didn't work. It is a Windows 2000 drive and the machine I have working is XP.

I tried step one and that feature wasn't there. I still went on to the next steps, but there was no security tab or any place for security on the tabs that did exist.

Some things I noticed that seem weird.
    1. When I look at the properties of the folder, it says it is "Read Only". I uncheck that and hit apply, but it doesn't actually make the change.
    2. When browsing the drive in the explorer window, if I mouse over the folder, it says it is empty.

This is the only folder I can't seem to get to, everything else I can browse through and see. I might have access to an identical box, so I might try popping it in their to see if that works, if not, I guess I'll just wipe it clean and start over.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

grab a knoppix cd and boot off of that with the drive in the machine. Then you can share the drive and copy the folder over. Knoppix should ignore any ntfs permissions

5. deusexaethera

Windows XP is Windows 2000, with a prettier interface and a couple of features that have nothing to do with permissions or security.

The permissions on the \Inetpub folder are preventing you from making the changes to the "Read Only" setting, as well as preventing you from seeing the contents.

Look here:
    [​IMG]

Turn that off.

6. ITGuy

ITGuy New Member

I understand what you are saying. As for the simple file sharing, that wasn't listed as an option when I opened My Computer and looked at the folder options.

I'll do some reading on the knoppix, thanks.

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Sounds like you're on a domain. You need to have local administrative rights to take ownership of objects.

EDIT: Or XP Home

8. deusexaethera

Yeah, actually I'd meant to ask that. Are you running XP Home? If you are, you need to plug the drive into a computer running XP Pro in order to override the permissions.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

A bit of trivia: In windows (and DOS for that matter) you can't set read-only on a folder, only files. They ALWAYS show the read only attribute as a square-check (not checked, not unchecked, just a box in the check box).

Don't believe me, try it your self.

In other words, that part is normal. As for the other stuff: ding.

edit: By read only I mean the read-only attribute (i.e. the checkbox on the general tab, aka attrib +R), not the Read attribute in the NTFS permissions.

10. deusexaethera

I was talking about the read-only attribute in the NTFS permissions. That's what he's having trouble with, after all.

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

But that's not what he was talking about, since there is no "read-only" NTFS attribute, just a read, and if he can't see the security tab he certainly can't see the NTFS settings.

12. ITGuy

ITGuy New Member

Yeah, I plugged it into an XP Home machine. I'll see if I can get it plugged into an XP Pro machine here at work to change the settings then. Thanks.

13. deusexaethera

Right...your point is...

You're rehashing stuff that's already been said.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Uh, no, just correcting your errors: again. You (incorrectly) stated that NTFS permissions were preventing him from unsetting the "Read-Only", remember:

That is flat out incorrect, since you can't set Read Only on a folder. It always looks like it is set on any folder in Windows. He thought that was a problem, you perpetuated that false assumption, and I corrected you both.

So I guess my point is you don't know what the hell your talking about.

15. deusexaethera

Dude, you're arguing over meaningless drivel. Get over it.

When I check the "Read-Only" checkbox on a folder and click OK, I see this:

[​IMG]

You're right that this non-NTFS permission gets applied to all of the files in the folder instead of to the folder itself, but it is nonetheless the NTFS permissions that are preventing him from doing anything to the folder and its contents, including removing any write-protection that the files may have.

Stop trying to be Jollyogre. It's been a lot more pleasant since he's been gone the past few days. We've actually been able to talk about shit without anyone getting called "a fucking idiot".

16. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually you are the one that started arguing about it. I just pointed out that what the user was seeing was normal and NOT related to the issue he was having. I even said you were right about everything else, but apparently your ego couldn't handle a perceived insult to it so you started in with the snippy bullshit.

So if you don't want to be called a "fucking idiot" don't act like one.

17. keleko

keleko yes, he is

if the drive is still good (i'm assuming it is), there are 3rd party apps that you can use to access that folder/files, without having to fuck around in windows itself, and transfer them to another drive (or change permissions)

erd commander is one of my favorite for this kind of thing

18. keleko

keleko yes, he is

:ugh2:

19. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

As a UNIX admin, even I agree that this can't be farther from the truth. But you do realize it's douche's statement correct? THE Spewer of the incorrect information in C&P?

20. deusexaethera

So...how is XP not almost entirely derived from Windows 2000, then?

21. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

XP and 2003 share a kernel, which has significant differences from the 2000 kernel. While they are both "derived" from the 2000 kernel, XP is not "Windows 2000, with a prettier interface...."

22. deusexaethera

(sigh) Fine, whatever. You know, I was approaching it from a user's perspective, not from a programmer's perspective. I really don't care if Win2000 is coded in Chinese so long as it provides the same functionality. But then, that's what my training and my job revolve around, so like I said, whatever.

23. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Actually, if he had said that XP was 98 with a prettier interface - that would actually be much further from the truth.

But I think the general statement of XP being 2k with a prettier interface is somewhat true....especially from a user (non-techie) perspective. The functionality is very similar.

24. ITGuy

ITGuy New Member

Got a PC loaded with XP Pro and this worked perfectly for the most part. I was able to copy everything to an external drive that I could use to hold the data until I re-image the new PC. Thanks for everyones help.

25. deusexaethera

:bigthumb: