Recording phone calls on a linux box through a non winmodem...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kevlarpantsrtuff, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Well hopefully someone on here has something up their sleeves... just from looking down the column of thread i doubt that anyone here will be able to help me. I need an open source phone conversation recording software for linux. I really don't feel like writing my own because i have much bigger projects i need to be working one rather than figuring out how to communicate with a modem and record the phone calls... if this is a simple task to do and someone knows how to do it. please by all mean share the info with me. If anyone can help i would appreciate it.

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Is there anything available even for windows platform?

I'd wonder how you'd do that... with windows you could probably open up sound forge or sound recorder, initiate the call, and then use phone dialer to pick up the line and start recording.. but I would think the modem would cancel the voice call due to 'no dial tone'..

Anyway.. enough rambling. I'll keep my eyes open? ;)

3. yeah i'm gonna hit some linux forums too... i just haven't had the time to do that yet. i was hoping someone on here would know of something. This client insists on using linux. i'm a c and vb programmer... i don't know the slightest thing about programming for linux. thats why i'm looking for it instead of building it. if you guys hear of anything i'll be monirtoring this thread just drop a line.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Nothing is impossible, but you didn't pick an easy project.

Using a modem, you will need to find one with the following requirements:

1. Voicemodem. Sound card built onboard to convert the analog signal to something the computer can use.

2. Capable of picking up the phone without getting confused and then put into a record mode. Most modems, using the Hayes command set, can blindly pick up the hook ("ath1" I believe to pick up and "ath0" to drop the hook).

On top of that, you may have legal issues (which is probably why this process hasn't been made easy to do - especially from an automation standpoint).

So you want to continue on... I think the next step is to get an API for the modem you have choosen and start hacking away. I have a feeling you won't be able to use BIOS calls to make this work, but low level calls directly to the modem should work - assuming the modem will let you (how's your IRQ/DMA/addressing skills?).

Another interesting mix might be to hack the onboard speaker on the modem and wire it to the mic jack of the sound card and go from there. That might actually provide the simplest solution.

From an automation standpoint, the modem makes for an interesting platform, but I'm not sure I would be sold on it for this solution. I wouldn't be too surprised if you made a stop at your local Radio Shack and you found a tape recorder designed for this task. Probably be cheaper in time and materials too.

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd:

You may have an easier time selling them on VoIP then actually completing this project. ;) :rofl: