Recording Audio onto PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Imtoodumbtothinkofone, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Imtoodumbtothinkofone

Imtoodumbtothinkofone New Member

I once before successfully managed to record off the radio onto my computer using the onboard line-in.

Today i treid to do the same, but with no luck. How easy is if to fuck up the onboard sound card stuff?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Like you said, you should be able to hook up a cable from the stereo to the line in of your sound card. If you can get the radio to play through your computer speakers, you're good to go. If you don't hear it through your computer speakers, make sure line in isn't muted.

There are plenty of programs out there to record from that.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Muted?!!? Geez. All the mute does it make so it doesn't layback through the speakers, which doesn't mean jacksh*t about it being recorded to the system.

Double-click the speaker icon in the system tray, this is the Volume volume controls.
    Options->Properties
    Click Recording
    In the "Show the following volume controls" below make sure Line-In is checked.
    Click OK
    Find the Line-In slider and make sure the Select box is checked.

The system will record from whatever record source is selected, in this case the Line-In.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I said that if you can hear the radio through the PC speakers, then the connection was made correctly.

The original poster said it didn't work when he just tried it. He wasn't specific enough on what didn't work. I was assuming that he had the line in muted on his PC.

5. Imtoodumbtothinkofone

Imtoodumbtothinkofone New Member

Thanks for the replies....and yes, my original post did suck.

The line-in is/was the source selected and its not muted.

The reason of why i think something might be stuffed is due to the fact that i had it all set up to record about 3hrs previous, i didnt change any settings/cords/etc and then when time came to record nothing happened.

Im using nero wave editor to try to record. Strange thing is that even with nothing connected into the input, the input level graphs for the left and right channels are showing as though something is there with both of the channels showing a constant 3/4.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can mute the Line-In volume separate from the Master volume, jackass. If he did that via the advanced volume control panel, it wouldn't show up on the simple control panel that pops up when you click the volume icon.