Reconditioning rubber window seals?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Operator7G, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Operator7G

Operator7G Active Member

Cliffs first:
    Is there anything I can do to recondition or prolong the life of a weatherstrip or window seal?

Long story:
    The weatherstrip for my hatchback's glass has been discontinued by Toyota. :mad: I have an extra one from the junkyard, but it's been sitting for who knows how long. When I go to remove it from the junkyard hatch, I'd like to do whatever I can to make it as new as possible to give it the best seal I can get out of it and keep it that way as long as possible.

2. David02

David02 Guest

Any type of silicone lubricant will do the job nicely. Spray it on a rag, and wipe down all of the rubber seals with it.

I've also heard a thin coating of vasaline, rubbed into the seals works well... but I have never tried it.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Rubber/vinyl protectant like Optimum Protectant Plus or Meguiars #40 work well.

4. Operator7G

Operator7G Active Member

Thanks guys!

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The best rubber conditioner ever made was sold by TEAC for reconditioning rubber rollers and belts in their old reel-to-reel tape recorders. It was amazing stuff; you could wipe it on and wipe it off, and there would be a nice coating of shiny black shit on the cloth, and the roller/belt would have a nice matte-black finish again, slightly sticky like it should be.

Sadly, it was discontinued years ago because it's toxic as all hell. I bet you could buy some from some third-world country, though, where CFCs and DDT and other nasty stuff is still legal. I'll see if I can find out what the chemical is called.