A&P Recommended Flash and tripod

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mikey707, Mar 12, 2004.

1. mikey707

mikey707 Guest

I'm a beginning photographer. I've used an old Canon AL-1 which was given to me by my grandfather. Recently purchased a Nikon N-75 with a Sigma lens kit with macro features. Any recommendations on which flash to purchase and tripod. I have looked at some Quantarays and Nikon flashes, the nikon flashes are nice, but too much $$$. I also want a nice tripod, one I can carry around and easily set up and broken down for quick shots. I basically take pictures of cars, mostly at car shows. Most of the time it is at night and indoor. Eventually I will save up and get a Nikon D70 or D100 so I can use the same lenses.

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Tripods for still cameras are easy to find. Look for one that is sturdier than you think you need. You don't need a top of the line Bogen especially since you're new to photography. Your local camera shop will help you pick one.

Same goes for a strobe. Vivatar use to make a nice model, don't know if they still do or not, but it had a movable head (useful for bouncing the light) and three automatic modes plus a manual mode. The automatic modes let you chose three different aperatures to work with when shooting. The Vivatar also came with a long hot shoe cord so you could remove the flash from the camera but still leave the sensor attached to the hot shoe. This helps because there are times when you want the light to be higher than the camera, or off to one side. This strobe also came with a filter holder that fit over the flash head. This is useful to hold diffusers or colored gels. I had one of these units for many years. It finally gave up on me a few years ago.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

I think the model is the 283 or 285 for the Vivitars.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I think you're right. The 283 sounds familiar. It was a good flash. Served me well for many years.