Recommended DVD writing software?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Jun 29, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

So, I've got about 20-30Gb of files on my PC that I want to back up and a bunch of DVD+R DL discs. I want to put them on a DVD that I can just pop into someone else's computer to show them the various pics/vids (my parents' for example). What is the best way to do this these days?

Required bullshit to appease the potty police:
    I have a 15-month old and a digital camera that can take short videos. I'm not stealing the Queen's diamonds or trying to take food from Lars Ulrich's kid's mouth. So, unless someone else jumps into this thread and recommends stealing software to do my backups, I don't want to hear any pissing and moaning about theft.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Windows Movie Maker not cutting it for you?

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i don't bother editing all of this stuff. every so often we'll just show the videos to family members who we don't see so often, but i'm not going to make a full movie out of them.

4. Chris

Chris New Member

deepburner or imgburn

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Nero, Roxio, VSO, etc. try them all

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I realize that - Movie Maker has a quick slam these vids and pics onto a DVD and burn it option.

Otherwise, yeah, Nero is a good all round DVD burning program.

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Since you are wanting to "just pop into someone else's computer" why not just use any burning program and make a data disc. Since it's going into a computer you can also include an install for CCP or any other codec pack to ensure playablility if needed.

I used to have a couple spindles of cd-r's of random videos that were just data discs, never had any issues playing in other computers.

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

I agree with dissonance. Since it's going into a computer, be a Mac or PC, just burn it as data with anything that'll support DVD DLs.
    The latest build of CDBurnerXP supports DVD DL now. http://cdburnerxp.se/ and it's free.
    Last time I used it the only other problem was to check the filename length which is limited to 32 or 64 characters or something around there.

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

that works for me. i guess i was just wondering if any program was any better/worse than any other.

10. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

ImgBurn
    Nero

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

you have to find which combo works best for you (software + drive burner + blank media). this is why I suggested you try them all.

some of these software has issues working with DL on certain drives.

example: I get coasters when using Roxio on my Lite-On. No problems when I use Nero. No problems either if I use Roxio on my Sony NEC.

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Tried latest free version of DeepBurner and an app called Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 (also free). So far all I've burned is 2 coasters. I have Memorex DVD+R DL discs.

The Ashampoo software failed about midway through with some error. DeepBurner went all the way to the end and claimed success, but I can't read the disc at all.