A&P recommendations?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jeffreyliu838, Dec 12, 2008.

1. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I know you guys probably have 183201928321 of these threads but...

I kinda wanna get into photography. My brothers been into it since as long as I can remember, and it seems like something I'd like, but the thing is...I'm a high school student with no job D: so I'll be buying used for sure. Anybody have any recommendations on what I should be looking for? I can't ask my bro right now cause he's in some asian country doing stuff, but otherwise I would, lol.

Thanks.

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

budget?

resources?

considering film, or set on digital?

3. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Ahh, sorry. Absolute max is around 500, but I'd like to keep it as low as possible. I'd rather spend like 100 or 200 (is that possible?).

Resources...Sorry, but I don't really know what you mean by that.

I'm absolutely set on a DSLR. Consumables and non erasability kinda kills it for me.

Thanks.

4. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

You won't find a DSLR for the price that you'd like to (unless it's the body with absolutely nothing else... and it would have to be a very old body). Do you have any preference for Canon or Nikon? Do you have a Best Buy or Circuit City or something around you to go play with some DSLRs and see which one you like that feels best in your hands? What does your brother use? We need plenty of information to give you a recommendation. From the very little you've said, Id say look for maybe a Digital Rebel XT or used 10D/20D. They could all be had for your price range. I'm not sure what Nikon equivelant there is that is around that price range. Maybe a used D40 or something. Hope that helps

5. pawis

pawis werd em up

why absolutely set on a dslr? you still seem kinda iffy on the idea of photography and with such a low budget id say just go with a p&s with manual functions. it doesnt seem like you would be able to afford different lenses for a while if you got a dslr. for your budget a used canon rebel or nikon d40/50 would be your best bet if you must go dslr tho. need to get lucky for dslr in 100-200 even used(unless there is something seriously wrong the seller isnt telling you about)

6. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Ah poopie. I have no real preferences since I am a total nub. I just want bang for buck, basically. My bro is AWOL right now, so I don't really know what gear he uses... I'll keep an eye out for Rebel ST's and 10d/20d's on eBay.

Thanks. Any more advice?

Any more suggestions?

EDIT: Didn't see pawis' post.

I'm set on DSLR cause I do plan on being into photography. I don't want to spend much not because I don't want to, but because I can't, lol.

Could one of you compare and contrast the Rebels, the D40/50, and the 10/20d?

Thanks.

7. AnoesisX

AnoesisX New Member

get a d40, used if you can

8. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

The Rebel XS kit with the 18-55 IS lens (pretty decent starter lens) is down to $456 on amazon with free shipping and no tax.

Link

Pretty good price for a good starter kit.

Or you could try to find a used Canon XTi or XSi, or the Nikons listed above

9. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

How about the XT? From what I understand, it's like an XS but less MP...right?

The one I'm looking at is

"Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens"

On Amazon.

Is it a good buy? 370 bucks.

Thanks.

10. BabelJoat

BabelJoat New Member

The XT and the D40 are going to be the cheapest in terms of getting into digital SLRs. The price seems fair, I personally can't believe that it's that cheap now.

11. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Ah. I just realized I was looking at a used one which explains the price I guess.

Thanks.

12. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

:werd:

The XS or the D40 seems to be the obvious choices. Good starter cameras, but once you learn, you're going to want more!

13. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

This isn't a very good deal compared to the link I posted above. The XS is definitely a step above the XT, and the IS version of the kit lens listed in the XS link is MUCH better than the non-IS version that used to be bundled with the XT and XTi.

14. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Start doing some of your own research that meets your needs and go to the store to try out and see what fits you best.

15. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

D40 is pretty much the only thing in your budget/thread

16. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

get a used XT or XTi or D40 w/ a kit lens.

you can learn just about everything you want to know about photography with one.