Recommendations on Printer...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dry3210, Oct 7, 2004.

1. dry3210

dry3210 New Member

I'm in the market for a printer

Will mostly be used for printing simple non-photo graphics and text

Will occasionally be used for printing photos on photo paper

Needs to be able to accept all sorts of paper thickness and gloss finishes

Only 8.5 x 11 and smaller (no large format stuff)

A lot of my printing is in black and red (Would individual color cartridges be worth it?)

Doesn't need any card readers

Will be setup on a server

Look for under $200

Any suggestions

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Not sure of the exact model you'd need, but I'd almost certainly go with an HP one.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

IMO, the epson C86 would fit the bill perfectly.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Epson > Hp

5. dry3210

dry3210 New Member

I've worked with an Epson Stylus Photo 1280 and it smears inks around the edges on a regular basis

Then again I wasn't using Epson ink cartridges but cheaper other manufacturers ink cartridges

I hate HP/Compaq though as far as computers go

Don't have an opinion on their printers though...I will look into everyone's recommendations...thanks

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't use non-manufacturer inks, so I can't comment there. But my epsons have always had better quality than any HPs I've tried... That's why I keep buying epson.

I've got an RX500 right now and it kicks-ass.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Epson, and yes, individual inks are worth it. Unless you like throwing out a $40 triple ink cart. with full cyan and yellow ink because you ran out of magenta :squint:

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I had the same requirements as you, need a printer more for printing text than photos, but when I bought my printer, I realized that I wanted a better photo printer, period. Initially I bought an Epson 860 or something, and text was great and quick, but photos although were clear, but looked dead and tainted.

So, given the fact that most inkjet print the same quality text at essentially the same speed, look for one that prints great photos when you do print them out. There no point of printing photos that look bad, who wants that.

Like I said, I have the epson 860 and 800 before that. I also have some HP Photosmart printer and neither of these hold a candle to my Canon I960. I love this printer. The photos that come out of this thing is amazing. Ink carts are in 6 seperate containers so you do buy or throw away wasted ink. I think I got this printer for $120, not sure, but definitely under $200. I highly recommend this printer.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

HP really needs to rebrand their computers to Compaq to get rid of the smellyness of their computers. It hurts their other businesses IMHO. I love HP stuff, just not their computers.

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: I love my HP all-in-one, and the fact that they support Linux hugely gets them some points with me too. But, yeah, their computers have some issues. At our recent Linux installfest, I installed on one guy's brand-new HP tower. The next day he calls and says that his XP won't boot (it was a dual-boot). So, somone goes and fixes it, and as XP starts to boot up the hard drive dies. Brand new computer, dead hard drive.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

And why? Because they went with the lowest bid for components.

12. purejoy

purejoy New Member

i can shed a lot of light on this. i worked for canon for 4-5 years and had to learn all about the competition.

hp = dont do it. they rely on their name alone to sell printers. there have been numerous lawsuits involving their ink cartridges. examples: new printers only coming with "economy" cartridges that are half full. printer reporting the cartridge is empty when in fact its not. the cost per page on HP printers is not good at all. i read an article that reported around 40% of hp's entire revenue is from ink sales alone.

lexmark = how they are still in business is beyond me. $50/cartridge

epson = really good printer. canon's main competition. their high end printers are second to none. especially with archival inks.

canon = best bang for the buck, period. individual ink tanks on ALL printers not just some. printers come with full cartridges. photo quality is tough to beat (although some epsons make it a tough call). typical canon ink cartridge replacement is in the $9-15 each range.

general rule of thumb with printers: the cheaper the printer the more the ink costs. if that $30 printer seems to good to be true. it probably is.

also, unless you really need to save space. all in ones arent the best deals out. more often you can pick up a seperate printer and scanner cheaper and most will have much better quality as most companies put last years model scanner/printers in this years all in ones.

for photo printers check out the printer forums at www.dpreview.com

for text printers just decide which companies cartridge will give you the most bang for your buck as most all inkjets are at laser quality for text anyways

sorry this was so long. i dont mean to sound like a canon salesman ESPECIALLY since i no longer work for them but i hate to see uneducated people make very costly mistakes when buying printers.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  13. dry3210

dry3210 New Member

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Epson Stylus Photo R300

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I have that one and it rocks. awsome photos (gotta use good paper) and fast everyday printing. Plus it does CDs