Recommendations for changes to my diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TheWeasel, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Been trying to drop some weight and I've cut my calorie intake back but I think it may have been a bit too much. Now that I'm focusing on what I'm eating, I've had a hard time getting up to 2000 calories a day or so. Usually it's been between 1200 and 1500. I've gone from 206lbs a month ago to 194lbs now (trying to get to about 180lbs or a bit less). Suggestions on what I need to change up in my diet?

Here's kinda my typical daily food intake. Add some alcohol to the mix on the weekends.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been doing cardio twice a day for the most part. An hour on the stationary bike in the morning (have a protein shake before going to the gym when I wake up) and then an hour or so bike ride off-road after work. Up until 2 weeks ago I was also lifting for about 30 minutes a day but I hurt my shoulder 2 weeks ago and then when it started feeling better I woke up one morning with a sprained hand (I have no clue what happened but it didn't hurt at all when I went to bed). I'll be back to lifting next week.

Here are my stats from the past month.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

you should eat more protein and fats at your weight.

3. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

WTF like 3 days without food, and like 2 with less then 1k calories. Not entering stats?

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Yeah that was kinda a low day. Usually have around 200g of protein a day. Carbs have been much lower then that lately it seems (40-100g).

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Yeah sometimes I haven't been able to enter stuff on the weekends (was outta town a couple weekends). Those 2 days with sub 1000 calories likely weren't entirely recorded.

6. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

are you taking any multis/fish oil/green tea extract/EC/creatine?

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

No creatine right now (I've been off it for at least 2 months after being on it for like 3 years). Take glucosamine, CLA, fish oil, and EC stack. Killing a bottle of tribulus to get rid of it (claims to increase testosterone but every study on the stuff has proven it has no effect).

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I wake up at 7am, have the EvoPro listed, and head to the gym. Thinking some carbs before the workout may be in order instead?

9. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

eat more whole grain stuff
    drop the fruit, yogurt, tootsie roll & cheese and drink milk? eat more veggies
    have some almonds or natty pb

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Suuuuuure, when I was eating whole wheat bagels with natural PB people tell me to ditch it.

11. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

bagels have too many carbs, you get whole wheat stuff with a lot less carbs, like pitas n shit

natty pb when you have the protein shakes should keep you feeling full

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Feeling full hasn't been an issue at this point. Feel like I'm not eating enough though. Not hungry, just looking at my intake and it seems like it may be too low?

13. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

keep the carbs under 100 and have more fat and get 200g protein, go up in calories til you're not losing weight, then bring it down a notch.

the bigger guys should really give their 2 cents :o

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  14. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I'll give it a try.

15. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You say milk while others told me to ditch the milk. Freaking milk. Was mostly using it to mix with the casein protein to slow digestion or just a single glass with breakfast.

16. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

:dunno: shit works for me. i fucking love milk, just enough carbs and protein. I know there's something about an insulin spike with milk (not sure) which makes it not good for cutting, so it's up to you.

17. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

12 pounds in one month seems really high. Most people suggest losing 1 pound a week, maybe 2 if you've got really high BF.

Also, how are you getting your "calories burned" number? They seem really high.

18. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

more dry curd cottage cheese

19. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That calories burned number is what FitDay generates. It's a combination of calories burned from the activities you've entered and what they believe you burn based on your body weight I guess? Here's what mine looks like today based on the 1 hour bike ride I took (activities).

[​IMG]

20. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

Don't go by those.

21. Plan B

Plan B New Member

at 194lbs you should be eating more then 1500cals a day.....

22. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Milk I guess causes a large insulin response. Andrew mentions it in his sticky but he doesn't go into any specific crap on it. I'm looking around because I was raised drinking like 1/2 gallon of milk daily and I'd like to see what sort of effects it was having on me.

Andrew? :x:

23. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Listen up, diet rule #101. If you are trying to cut, NO MILK PRODUCTS. TIA.

24. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

OK, first off, read the stickies. There's a lot to be learned there.

Next, go here and see what your daily calorie intake should be:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

Most likely, the number you get there will be higher than what you're ingesting now. Follow that.. as is, you're not eating enough (if your charts are correct).

Like I said earlier, losing 12 lbs in 1 month is a lot! Unless you're obese, that shouldn't be happening. My guess is that you've been losing muscle and fat. You do not want to lose muscle.

I made this same mistake way back. I went from 185 to 165 in a matter of 2 months. But instead of being a flabby 185, I was a flabby 165. I was basically starving myself and lost a whole lot of muscle in the process. Do not make this mistake.

You want to lose 1-2 lbs per week. You're trying to burn off the fat while maintaining your muscle mass.

To do this, you want to take your calories expended and subtract 500 calories. That number is how much you should eat each day.

A negative 500 calories over the course of a week is -3500. Enough to burn off 1 pound.

The calorie calculator above will allow you to factor in your level of exercise.

As for your calories burned, they seem ridiculously high. You're burning off 4500 calories on some days? :eek3:

I exercise 4 days a week. On those days, I do 1 hour on the bike in the morning and 60-90 minutes lifting in the evenings. On top of that, I've been doing some heavy yard work at home during the day for several hours (digging up soil, hauling it around, etc.) and I burn no where near 4500 calories.

25. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

Between 1200 and 1500? You might be putting your body in starvation mode.

Your body thinks it's starving, so to preserve itself, it starts storing fat and burns off your lean muscle as fuel. That's not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.